Chapter Thirty-One: The Letter

The tension in their shared dorm could be cut with the swish of a wand. True to his word, Draco showed up every night to study with Hermione. Or, well, sit in the same room together. Every attempt at conversation Hermione tried was quickly shut down by Draco, who kept his cool, indifferent expression in place the whole time they were together.

Tonight was no different, at least until the knock on the portrait hole broke Hermione's already frazzled concentration.

"Are you expecting someone?" Draco asked, frowning.

Hermione shook her head.

"Huh." He rose as gracefully as ever and stalked towards the portrait hole, throwing it open. "Mother?"

Hermione leaned forward in her chair so she could see Cissa framed in the doorway. Cissa saw her and smiled softly. Smiling in return, Hermione rose and approached the older woman. "What brought you here?"

"You, dear," Cissa said, pushing past her son and entering the room.

"Me?" Hermione squeaked.

"Yes, you."

Hermione gulped.

"Mother, I don't think -," Draco was cut off.

"Dear, leave. Go back to your dorm." Draco's frown deepened, but after a silent exchange, he grabbed his books and flung his bag over his shoulder. He left without a backward glance.

Hermione shifted from one foot to the other. "What can I do for you, Cissa?"

"Come, sit, Hermione."

Hesitating for just a moment, Hermione followed Cissa to the couch, sitting down next to her.

Cissa gently grabbed Hermione's hand and squeezed. "I've been kept abreast of what's been happening, and I have to say I am so sorry for what you've been through. I understand why you doubt my son's affection, as much as it pains me." At the look on Hermione's face, she added, "I'm not here to convince you otherwise."

"Then why are you here? And why did you send Draco away?"

Cissa bit her lip, hesitating, before reaching into her dress pocket and pulling out a tattered letter. "Because of this." She handed the letter to Hermione.

Hermione stared at it blankly. All it had scrawled across the front in elegant calligraphy was 'Hermione Jean Granger.' "What's this?"

"Do you know how letters work in Azkaban?" Cissa asked.

"No..." A sinking feeling opened up in Hermione's stomach.

"You can only send letters to your own family – it's harder to curse others that way. Lucius wrote to me and asked me to give you that letter." As an afterthought, she added sadly, "He never writes to me, except to tell me when he needs me to visit to recharge our connection."

Hermione dropped the letter. "What does he want with me?" she asked as she leaned over to pick the letter up off the floor.

"I haven't the faintest idea. We don't exactly talk, dear. The only way to find out is to open the letter."

With trembling fingers, Hermione broke the seal and read:

Ms. Granger –

I am sorry to hear of your recent attack; it's been the talk of the jail. Being part of the Golden Trio has some sway here, much to my surprise. You'll be happy to know that there's a general sense of disgust at your attacker's actions.

I understand what's happened between you and my son, and I would like to have a conversation with you. You, of course, owe me nothing, and I would completely understand if you reject my offer. However, I must offer anyway: please come visit me at your earliest opportunity. No need to send a letter; showing up is good enough. It's not like I'm doing anything, anyways.

I hope to see you soon.

Lucius Malfoy

Hermione looked up at Cissa, her face blank. "He wants me to come visit him."

Cissa arched a perfectly groomed eyebrow. "Does he now? You know you'd be perfectly safe if you went."

Nodding, Hermione stared down at the letter, thinking. For Lucius to ask her to visit, it must be important. He didn't particularly like her. "I think... I think I should go and hear what he has to say."

Cissa nodded, her face impassive. "Whatever you think is best. But don't feel pressured."

Hermione shook her head. "I don't. I just... I feel like I should go."

"Then I recommend you do not tell Draco. Knowing him, he'll try to put a stop to you going alone."

"Yea... he will. I'll write to McGonagall right now." Hermione pulled a blank sheet of paper towards her and scribbled across it.

"I can give it to her. I'm headed back that way anyway," Cissa offered.

Hermione smiled gratefully. She still didn't have an owl. After Crookshanks had gone missing over the summer, she hadn't been able to bear the idea of another pet.

Cissa rose, letter in hand. "Goodbye, Hermione."

"Why didn't you try to talk to me about Draco?" Hermione called after the other woman.

Cissa paused by the portrait hole. "There's nothing I can say that will change how another feels. You feel like Draco's human doesn't care for you. I know what that feels like. That feeling doesn't go away just because someone says it should. I trust you, Hermione. You are the Brightest Witch of Our Age for a reason. You'll figure it out." She turned and left.