Chapter Eighteen: A Woman Scorned

Draco was hesitant to leave the safety of their room the next morning. They'd been given the ok to stay in their room, but Hermione insisted they go as they couldn't miss classes. No matter how much Draco argued that it wasn't safe, it was like talking to a wall. She just kept on insisting that their lessons were more important. Short of throwing her over his shoulder and locking her in the bedroom he still didn't get to sleep in, there was nothing he could do.

"Stop worrying; it's putting me on edge," Hermione directed.

"Well, I'm on edge. Male Veelas aren't exactly accepted the same way female Veelas are."

Draco was almost sure he heard Hermione mutter, "Damn patriarchy," under her breath. He tried not to snicker.

"So yeah, I'm a bit on edge. Sorry."

As they walked down the hall, Draco was surprised when Hermione slipped her small hand into his. Instantly he felt better. He pulled her hand up to his mouth and gave it a soft kiss before letting their joined fingers drop. Glancing at her, he found her blushing profusely.

Given their room was in a more deserted part of the castle, it took several minutes before their path crossed another student's. The first year, upon seeing them, gave a frightened yelp and ran in the opposite direction.

"That's not good," observed Hermione.

"Nope."

As they walked along the corridor, any students they passed either flattened themselves against the wall or ran away, sometimes from the direction they came from.

"At least no one has challenged us yet," whispered Draco.

Hermione nodded.

On the grand staircase, Harry, Ginny, and Blaise caught up with them.

"How's it going so far?" Ginny asked worriedly.

"So far, as good as we could hope for. Everyone is just avoiding us."

"I wouldn't count on it staying this quiet," Harry said. "I overheard some of the other students talking – they're scared or mad or both, and we all know that combination is never good."

"So we're your honor guard," Blaise announced, smiling widely.

Draco snorted but refrained from commenting. Secretly he was relieved to have others on his side, and he knew it comforted Hermione to be surrounded by her friends – he could feel the warmth coursing through her.

"Ready to go to breakfast?" Draco asked everyone.

They all exchanged a look before nodding, Ginny and Blaise flanking Hermione and Draco, with Harry behind them.

When they walked into the room, a deafening silence fell. Even the sound of forks scraping plates stopped. All eyes were on the group as Hermione and Draco were herded to the end of the Ravenclaw table where Luna and Nevile were waiting for them.

"Why are we here?" Draco stage whispered.

"It's neutral territory. Gryffindors are pissed you stole their Princess, and Slytherins are just pissed in general. On top of everyone being terrified of you," Neville explained as they sat down.

"But why Ravenclaw?" Hermione asked.

"For the most part, we're too curious about you to be scared. Male Veelas are exceptionally rare," Luna answered with her dream-like quality. "So you're safest here."