Epilogue 2

We spent a few months in Alaska, living in blissful ignorance

We knew not what was going on in the universe, and quiet frankly, we didn't care. It was summertime, and that meant the snow was melted, the flowers were in full bloom, and Loki got to try blueberries for the first time.

He liked them, very much in fact.

It was nice being able to boat into town whenever I wanted. Although, having to pay for all that extra gas really sucked. Loki and I worked odd jobs to make up for it, and we fished, which, even though he would never admit it, I knew Loki enjoyed.

The cabin was a mess when we got back. Bears had undoubtedly gotten in to look for food, and forgot to tidy up before they left. After some sweeping and scrubbing, everything was as good as new, and ready to be lived in.

Kenny was overjoyed to see my return. Apparently he got worried after a while and came looking for me, to which he found my little cabin all ransacked, and assumed I was dragged off by wolves, and eaten.

Koda was excited to be home again. As soon as he got over the effects of the Bifrost, he was plunging into the channel and chasing shore birds.

Loki and I spent many nights watching the northern lights. We'd lay out a blanket on the ground and snuggle up next to each other, watching the free light show above. Every morning Loki or I would make coffee, and go on a morning walk (to pick blueberries of course).

If it wasn't for my new strength, stamina, and heightened senses, it would have been all too easy to forget who we really were, and live like a typical Alaskan couple without anything to look forward to except the changing seasons. We weren't married yet, but we lived no differently to how we lived last time. We still shared the bed with Koda in the middle. We left while the other was washing or changing. We always gave the other their alone time. There were no arguments or bouts of awkwardness like last time. We were always honest with one another and nearly always knew what the other wanted or needed.

When Loki noticed we were running low on firewood, he wouldn't hesitate to go outside and chop more. When I took my laundry to the creek to wash it, I'd take his too. And that's why I knew, really knew in my heart that this marriage would work. We both cared for each other and did things for them without expecting anything in return.

I loved him.

He loved me.

A little later on in the season, the salmon started their yearly treck upstream. This always brought the bears out like never before. They were trying to fatten up before the winter came again. I dragged Loki deep into the forest to a short waterfall where the bears were nearly always fishing, and we sat down to watch them.

"You still appreciate these creatures, even after you were attacked by one?"

I smiled. One of the bear cubs caught a fish for the first time and was struggling to keep hold of it as it thrashed about. "It's just what bears do Loki. You can't blame something for it's nature. They're big, and strong, and fiercely protective of their territory, but they're also beautiful, majestic, and have quite the personalities." I pointed down to the river where a bear just missed catching a fish, and it plopped down in defeat.