Chapter 37

I felt about a thousand times better when I woke up the next morning

I felt about a thousand times better when I woke up the next morning. The rising sun shone brightly through the curtains of our bedroom window, and cast a golden glow on the opposite wall. Loki looked like he hadn't moved all night. His arm was still hanging off the side of the bed, and he still wore the same bloody clothes from yesterday.

I yawned and stretched. My joints popped in multiple places and my eyes watered as I continued to yawn away the sleepiness. Once I regained the power to think clearly, I turned my attention to Loki. I felt his forehead. He was cool, but not so much so that it worried me. His hair was a mess, plastered to his forehead and out of place everywhere else. He still looked deathly pale, but hey, he was breathing and I wasn't about to complain.

I reached over with the hand that wasn't supporting my weight, and brushed his hair away from his face. Once I was done, I let my hand rest on his cheek and was startled by his voice.

"You ought not look at me as if you think me dead. I'm perfectly fine."

My eyes teared up at his words. He sounded better than last night when he could only rasp out two words. He opened his eyes, and I saw a familiar gleam in them. Life. Loki was alive, and he was going to be okay.

"Loki." I bent down to hug him the best I could, burying my face into his neck and wrapping my arms around his chest. He flinched.

"Lex. I love you very much as well, but perhaps you could hold off on embracing me for just a while longer?" I released him immediately. Of course he would still be in pain. He had a sword thrust through his sternum! I just forgot that fact when I realized he would be alright.

"Yeah, yeah. Sorry. I'm just so happy to see you, you know, alive." I said, wiping my eyes.

"I have you to thank for that I think." He said, looking down and bringing his hand up to push apart the hole in his clothes. "This certainly doesn't look like the work of a healer or sorcerer. What did you do?"

"The same thing I did to heal you from the Mind Stone, times about a million." I chuckled as his eyebrows rose. He didn't say anything, just laid there with his hand resting over the scar. "Did you want to try sitting up?" 

He nodded. "If you wouldn't mind." I got off the bed and walked around to the side he was laying on. Then I brought his arm over my shoulder and used my legs to lift him up, and pull him back so he could sit against the headboard.

He groaned and grimaced when I pulled him up, but once he was situated, he let out a sigh of relief. "Where are we?" He asked randomly. "Are we alone?"

I shook my head. "We're on Earth." His eyes widened, I imagined that he was having the same reaction that I did in the car last night. "It's alright! Nobody knows we're here besides the people we're with. We're in England."

"And, who exactly are we with?" He said in a perfectly even voice. He was trying not to lose his temper.

"We're staying with a man named Eric. Jane brought us here. It's alright Loki."