Chapter 6

Loki and I stopped at the Casper Grill to grab dinner on the way back to Kenny's barn

We didn't stay long, just picked up a few pizzas to go. Koda was waiting outside and with that trooper still patrolling, I wanted to get him out of sight as soon as possible.

Thanks to Loki's help last night, we were able to make ourselves a pretty nice little barn-camp. We found an old wood stove from the yard and managed to find the chimney pieces that we needed to direct the smoke outside. I managed to start a fire rather quickly with my powers (the recipe for fire is fuel, oxygen, and energy after all) and Loki took it upon himself to chop wood, which didn't take him very long considering he's about as strong as a supersoldier. 

We set up our beds in front of the stove. There was a large, think quilt spread out to insulate us from the ground, and we each had several quilts to sleep underneath. Some of you reading this might be gawking at the fact that I allowed him to sleep in the same room as me, let alone the same bed. But it's true that a lot of social rules get dropped while living in the wilderness. If you don't believe me, just ask any through hiker.

At first Loki was insulted that I offered him a spot to sleep next to my bed in the cabin, and he slept outside the first two nights. The only problem with that was that when his body got too cold, he turned a dark shade of blue and some kind of raised, tribal-mark-looking-lines appeared on his face. He said it's because of his heritage, and seemed to detest that fact more than the idea of sharing a sleeping area with me. And because of his temper, I didn't question him when he moved back in.

I wasn't surprised at his color of course; I saw a lot during my time at Hydra. I wasn't the only inhuman they managed to procure.

"This ought to do the trick. What do you think Koda?" I held up a mostly flat piece of sheet metal. It was small, maybe two square feet, but it would be perfect for heating the pizzas on. They was practically frozen by the time we got back to the barn. Not surprising considering the temperature rarely rises above zero.

I opened the sliding door to see Loki sitting on his side of the "bed" and staring into the fire. He looked like himself again. His black hair hung lazily in his face and his eyes were, unfortunately, back to blue. He still wore the cloak I lent him, but he also had some of his old clothes on under it. That or it was just an illusion. I could never really be sure.

"I found something that might work. Do you think you could bend the edges so it sits above the stove?" I asked him and held up the scrap.

"If you're so self sufficient you can manage on your own." He snapped. Yep, my theory is was right. Blue eyes mean he's in his sinister mood. It's a shame too, I was starting to like his civil-self.

"Fine. Maybe I will." I returned the harsh tone and brought the piece of metal over to Kenny's work bench. I placed it in the clamp, the same one Kenny used to hold Loki's handcuffs, and looked around for a hammer. There was one hanging on the wall behind the bench. But when I pulled it back to deliver the first blow, the hammer was snatched from my hand. "Hey! What the-" I spun around defensively, ready to fight, when I noticed the green color of his eyes.