Chapter 32

I felt like I swallowed a rock as I walked quickly towards Loki's cell. I'd never had to tell somebody that they lost a loved one before, and I had no idea what I was supposed to say.

And now I was supposed to break the news to Loki that not just one, but both of his adoptive parents were gone?

I think I'm gonna be sick.

I neared Loki's cell to see him sitting against the wall reading a book right next to the barrier. He had no idea what just happened and I felt even sicker at the thought of telling him, but it had to be done.

"Loki." My voice was hoarse and tired from crying so much already today. I knew though, that I was in for a lot more.

His head shot up at the sound of my voice and relief filled his features. "Lex! I was so worried." He then noticed the state I was in, and his expression grew worried. "Lex what's wrong? What happened?" He stood up and motioned for me to come inside, which I did. I ran into his arms and broke down all over again when he squeezed me tight and said, "Lex you can talk to me. Tell me what's wrong."

"I failed Loki. I failed."

He pulled back and looked into my eyes. "Lex, whatever happened?"

"I ran as fast as I could, but I couldn't get there in time."

"Get where Lex?"

"To your parents. They were both killed by that monster from the dungeons. Thor and I couldn't get there in time. I'm so sorry." Tears kept spilling down my face as Loki let out a breath and stepped back. He brought his fist up to his mouth and clenched his jaw, turning around slowly and raking his fingers through his hair.

I stepped forward and placed a hand on his trembling back. The guilt pulsed through my body like an electric current. I didn't feel worthy to stay with him, not after I couldn't save his mom. I didn't want to leave him. He was the only person in the universe that I had to lean on.

But I'm the one who let his mother die.

The guilt got me then, and I spoke. "I'm so sorry. I'll give you some time." I turned to leave when I felt a hand grab my wrist.

I turned back around to meet Loki's red, pleading eyes. "Don't leave me alone. Please. I can't handle it."

Wait, is Loki not furious at me?

It broke my heart just a little bit more to hear him say that. He didn't trust himself yet. He didn't want to be left alone with his thoughts.

I pulled him down into my arms and together, we sunk to the ground. I ran my fingers up and down his spine as he sobbed into my shoulder much like his brother did. His hands fisted around the leather straps of my armor as he let all his grief out.

We stayed there until we both ran out of tears to shed. We sat against the wall together, hand in hand. His eyes were bloodshot, and I'm sure mine were too. We sat in silence, not really knowing what to say. I could tell Loki was exhausted from all his grief but no one could possibly rest with so much weight on their mind.

I was thinking about all the ways I've let Loki down since he fell into my life. The time I lied to him about the Tesseract, the fact that I didn't tell him I couldn't have kids, and now I let his parents die.

I sighed.

"Something else is on your mind. What troubles you?" Loki rolled his head to the side to face me. He could always see right through me, he and his mother both.

"I just feel like I keep letting you down."

His hand tightened around mine and his brows pulled in concern. "Why would you ever think that?"