Chapter 7

"So wait you just fell into space?"

Loki was in the process of telling me his life story and I was trying my best to listen. Apparently he was adopted into Asgardian royalty. What really messed him up (my words not his), was that Odin, his adoptive father, raised him through lies all his life and when Loki found out, he blew a circuit (also my words). I get that people do crazy stuff when they let their anger take over and live by knee-jerk reactions, but I guess being the royal family of a huge kingdom means that everything they do has bigger consequence. Just look at politics today. 

"Yes." 

"Why?" 

"To die." He shrugged nonchalantly, as if attempting suicide was no big deal. I suppose I can't blame him. If I said I didn't think about ending my life after I escaped from Hydra, I'd definitely be lying.

"Well looks like you failed at that too." He gave me a side glare and I regretted provoking him. "Sorry, go on." 

"You weren't wrong. I ended up in the hands of a titan named Thanos. He tortured me to the brink of insanity every day, and every morning he repeated it, until finally, he offered me a deal. He wanted the Tesseract. I wanted a throne. He told me if I delivered the Tesseract to him, he'd give me dominion over Midgard." I raised an eyebrow in question and he clarified. "Earth. I never anticipated you midgardians would fight back the way you did."

"Yeah. We don't take too kindly to monarchy. That's how America actually started." Now it was his turn to raise an eyebrow. I guess he wasn't too educated in American History. Why would he be? "We had a king. His name was George. We didn't like him so we sent him a breakup letter. That started a war, which we won, and now we're still just as fiercely and wonderfully rebellious as we were two hundred years ago." I explained with a smirk before things turned serious again when I said "Tell me about SHIELD and Hydra."

"I honestly don't know much. When I first arrived, I procured several SHIELD agents to help me accomplish my mission." I cut him off again.

"And by procure you mean...?"

He sighed, seemingly getting annoyed again at my constant interruptions. "I mean I used the power of my scepter to coerce their minds to do my will. I delved through several of their psyches to gather information about SHIELD, and found many of them were actually loyal to another organization called Hydra. Evidently, Hydra is working within SHIELD, and SHIELD hasn't a clue."

"Got it." Seems he lied about that too. I guess I don't blame him. At the time, he was trying to avoid getting shot...by me. But how on earth did I actually fall for it? "Guess that's why they call you Silvertongue. People believe anything you say." I turned to the ground to hide my embarrassment.

He shrugged with a smirk and responded with. "Don't be so hard on yourself. I'm the god of lies. It's in the job description."

"Look, I can't point any fingers when it comes to killing people. I've assassinated more than I can remember. And I, of all people, know that when you're not in control of your own mind, you do crazy stupid stuff. I don't care what all you've done. I wasn't there, I wasn't in your shoes, and I didn't see what happened myself so I can't judge anything by it. I can only judge you by what I've experienced from you." I sighed, closing my eyes. "Just don't lie to me about it. That's something I can't stand."