Chapter 23

The prisons of Asgard were a lot less

The prisons of Asgard were a lot less...daunting than I thought they'd be.

We walked for what seemed like forever until we got to what looked like a staircase that descended into a basement. We went down the stairs and I was blown away by what I saw. Instead of the cold, moist, rat ridden dungeons that I imagined, we were met with a clean hallway, lined with brightly lit rooms. Each room had some kind of a glass front and white walls.

They looked more like museum displays than prison cells.

Frigga led me confidently down the hall lined with cells until we reached a crossroads. She turned then and walked up to one of the corner cells. Inside was none other than Loki. My heart ached to see him so trapped.

Maybe I shouldn't have gotten so upset earlier.

He was stretched out on a cot in the back of the cell and gazing blankly up at the white ceiling. He spoke suddenly, and his voice was so cold and harsh that it startled me. "I told you not to disturb me."

"Good thing I've never had a problem doing that." I said, sounding more confident than I felt.

He turned his head in surprise. He was certainly shocked to see us both. He sat up abruptly and stared at us with his mouth agape. He looked like a deer in the headlights.

"Lex." He breathed out.

The corner of my mouth turned up. "Hey Loki."

His face turned from surprised to angry in the blink of an eye and he rose to his feet. He strode over to the glass wall and looked down at me, even more than usual since the cell was elevated.

Is he mad at me? I thought. A lump of fear formed in my throat at the prospect of being on Loki's bad side. Although I couldn't fathom what I could've done to deserve his wrath.

"Who hurt you?" He said, pointing to my face.

I let out a breath in relief. He wasn't mad at me, he was mad at the bruise forming on my face.

"Oh, it was just a training accident. I'm fine." I said looking down.

He realized then that I was upset and he was only making the situation worse. His shoulders lost thier rigidness and his face relaxed some. "I know you are. You've been through much worse."

It grew painfully quiet. Neither of us knew what to say. I felt like I couldn't have a private conversation with Loki between the glass like this.

Frigga however, seemed to understand what I was thinking and turned to a passing guard. "Excuse me. Could you please let this young woman into Loki's cell?"

He looked uncomfortable at her question and stuttered out, "Well, I mean it's against policy..."

"According to who?"