Chapter 26

The crisp evening air flowed freely through the halls as I made my way to Odin's office

The whole palace was quite since most people were either at the taverns telling war stories, or wandering the markets in town doing thier evening shopping. The halls were lit by torchlight, but it wasn't enough to eliminate every shadow, so naturally, I kept a wary eye as I strode towards the Allfather's office.

I wasn't allowed to see Loki after the trial. Why? I wasn't sure. All I knew was that after Loki was taken away, I went to the prison and the guards at post told me Loki was not to have any visitors, per the King's orders.

I was so mad I could've zapped them into next week.

But reacting like that wouldn't help Loki at all, so I chose to respond instead, and come talk to Odin. I didn't know what I was going to say (words never came easy to me) but I hoped that Odin would hear me out, and have mercy on both of us. Loki didn't deserve to die, and I certainly couldn't bear to lose my only friend.

Eventually, I arrived at the huge carved wooden double doors to Odin's office. The last time I saw them was on my first night in Asgard when I was nobody but a refugee asking for asylum.

Now that I had earned their respect some, I hoped that Odin would be more reasonable. I wasn't counting on it though.

I reached up to the gold plate on the door, gave it three soft knocks, and waited for an answer.

I was just about to knock louder when I finally heard Odin's voice. "Enter."

I pushed open the door just enough to stick my head in. Odin wasn't sitting at his desk like I thought he'd be. Instead he was standing at the open window, gazing out over his kingdom.

"Hi." My voice was so uncharacteristically small that it surprised me. I suppose I was just scared. This was my one chance and I couldn't mess it up.

Odin turned quickly at the sound of my voice. Apparently he wasn't expecting me. "Lex. What brings you here?" Seriously?

"I think you know." I said as I stepped into the room fully and closed the door. I didn't say it with an attitude like I immediately wanted. I bit my tongue and put on a doe's facade.

"Yes, I think I do." He said, sounding dispirited. He sat in his desk chair and rested his elbows on the surface. He then motioned to the chair opposite his, and I took my own seat.

I didn't know quite what to say. I didn't know whether Odin believed my testimony that morning or not. I know Heimdall was there as a lie detector but who knows what Odin chose to believe. So I asked him, "Allfather, when I gave my testimony today, did you believe me?"

He sighed, and turned to face me with his one good eye. "I know you're telling the truth. That's what makes my decision so difficult."

"But you can't possibly be thinking about putting Loki to death? What happened on Earth, that wasn't him."