Chapter 22

I didn't get much sleep that night

I didn't get much sleep that night. It wasn't because the bed was uncomfortable, but rather, it was too comfortable. I was used to sleeping on a four inch foam pad with a blanket to cover it. At SHIELD the bed wasn't much better.

But lemme tell you something. This bed, felt like laying on a fresh field of snow, but without the numbing cold. It was so soft that I felt like I would sink right through unless I kept my arms and legs splayed out to spread my weight.

Koda, however, slept deeper than a hibernating bear.

I was woken up the next morning by a loud knocking on my door, and I growled in annoyance.

It's not that I didn't like waking up early. It's that I hated being woken up early.

I answered the door however, after threading my fingers through my hair a few times, and was met by a fierce looking, black haired woman in dark red armor. I greeted her shyly. "Um. Hi?"

"Are you the one they call Lex?" She asked stiffly.

"Yeah. Why? Who are you?" I asked back. I'm not gonna lie. I was a bit thrown off by her sternness. I mean it's not like we were in Russia right?

"I'm Sif. You've been assigned to me as a trainee. Breakfast is in ten minutes and we'll go straight from there to the arena. Get dressed quickly. Put your armor on. I'll be outside waiting."

"Oh. Okay." I shut the door in a frustrated frenzy. Would this be my new normal? People forever telling me what to do, and when to do it, and where to go?

If so, I'd like very much to go back to Alaska, please and thank you.

But I couldn't go back. I was compromised and brought into Asgard so as to avoid Hydra. Now that they knew I was alive, they'd stop at nothing to find me again, and this time, the assassin sent after me wouldn't let me go.

It's fine Lex, you'll get used to your surroundings. You always do. I gave myself a mental pep talk, but it didn't do much to boost my spirits. I missed my cozy cabin in the open Alaskan tundra. I missed the freedom. I could literally open my door, and walk as far as I wanted in any direction I chose.

I couldn't do that here.

Anja brought over my armor last night and taught me how to put it on so I wasn't totally clueless when I did it again. It was certainly going to take some getting used to however. I've never worn anything similar to this except maybe during my Hydra days, but at Hydra there was more cloth involved and less leather.

I looked at myself in the mirror after I finished dressing. I had a metal breastplate, as well as plates on my arms and legs. The rest of it was dark brown leather, consisting mostly of straps and flaps covering everything that the plates didn't. My arms were mostly exposed, which was a weird feeling, but I'm sure that since it wasn't as cold as it was in Alaska, I'd be glad.