Chapter 38

The Eurostar was just as nice as I remembered

The Eurostar was just as nice as I remembered. Of course, I didn't know that I had taken it before until I stepped on. It took the extreme deja vu of recognizing the inside of the train to jog my memory.

The seats of the famous Eurostar were set in groups of four; two on each side facing each other, with a table in the middle.

Loki kept our illusions up the whole way there. It was a bit unnerving knowing who somebody was, and yet, they looked like a stranger.

I didn't like strangers.

Loki and Thor didn't look quite as different as the rest of us, which I was grateful for. They both looked like Earthly businessman versions of themselves. Thor wore a grey suit while Loki wore black. Even in hiding he couldn't let his colors go. They both appeared to have short hair and Loki wore glasses. They're faces were slightly different, but still recognizable. Like when siblings look alike, but still slightly different.

I sat next to Loki, and Jane sat with Thor across the table. Eric and the other two were somewhere else on the train. They still weren't entirely comfortable around Loki yet.

The train traveled under the english channel for the majority of the trip, during which time Loki and I both fell asleep leaning against each other. I laid my head against his shoulder and he rested his cheek on my head. He was still exhausted from his wound, and I was exhausted from saving him.

After the Eurostar pulled into the station, we hopped onto another public train in Paris, and headed East towards Switzerland. By midday we had left the attic-roof architecture of France behind, and were met with mountain chalets and fluffy cows. Switzerland really was a beautiful country, and clean too. I remembered coming here with my friend back in highschool. I remembered eating cheap chocolate, and awing at how good it still was, despite the price.

I wanted to remember more, I really did, but the fact that it was starting to come back now scared me a bit. I wasn't sure I wanted anything to change before our mission was accomplished. I didn't want to get bombarded by feelings and emotions when I needed complete focus on the world around me. I had no idea what those feelings would bring, and I didn't want to find out, at least not yet.

Our train stopped in Lausanne, and after grabbing a quick bite to eat at a Turkish kebab restaurant, we jumped on a train heading east towards Montreux. When we finally got to there, the sun had already set. We knew we were in the right place though, because not only were Jane's sensors and gizmos going crazy, but to me, it felt like the atmosphere was having a heart attack. The energy signatures in the world around me were going crazy and wouldn't let me sleep.

Not that anyone could sleep well in a hostel room anyway.

There were so many of us that we couldn't afford to all stay in a hotel, so we booked out a mixed gender dorm at the nearest hostel. It was nice by hostel standards. There were four sets of bunks, and a shared bathroom. They even provided bedding.