Chapter 28

Loki was speechless as he stood there with his mouth agape like a deer in the headlights

Loki was speechless as he stood there with his mouth agape like a deer in the headlights. After a few seconds he recovered from his shock and spoke. "Why?"

"Because Hydra's perfect soldiers couldn't get distracted by such trivial problems."

"Oh my gods. Lex I'm so sorry." Loki took a step back and covered his mouth in horror at everything he said.

I stood up and approached him, wiping my eyes. "It's fine. You didn't know." I took his hand in mine and pulled it away from his face. He looked me in the eyes, guilt still written all over his face. I decided to be straight and direct with him then, and speak my mind. Whether or not that was the kindest thing to do, I wasn't sure. I was still plenty angry. "But Loki." He stared into my eyes and waited for me to speak. "Don't ever tell me what to do with my life, ever again."

He closed his eyes and nodded, but I wasn't done yet. "I know you just want what's best for me okay? I get it. But I can sure as hell make my own decisions, and if I thought spending time with you was holding me back in some way, I wouldn't be here right now. So just shut up and enjoy my company okay?" I finished with a smile to show him that I wasn't all as mad as I sounded.

He moved his other hand to grasp mine and he brought it up to his lips to place a soft, desperate kiss on my knuckles. "I'm sorry Lex. I was a fool."

"It's alright. It's partly my fault. I should've told you earlier that I'd never be able to give you any kids. I wanted to several times, but I never found the courage to actually do it."

"Oh darling." Loki leaned down and kissed my forehead before wrapping his arms around me and pulling me close. "How many times must I say it? There's nothing in the entire universe you could tell me that would make me love you any less. You can talk to me Lex."

I melted into his arms. "Thanks Loki."

"Of course." He breathed.

We stood there for a few more minutes before he bent over to hook his arm under my knees and hoist me up bridal style. I gasped in shock, and wrapped my arms around his neck in a death grip. "Loki what the heck?" I was uncomfortable being carried by somebody, even if it was Loki. I didn't like the feeling of not being in control of what happens to my body.

I didn't have long to freak out though, because soon enough he sat us down on the cot again with me on his lap. Loki chuckled. "Lex you needn't fret. Don't you trust me?"

I rolled my eyes. "Yes...I guess."

"I mean I did save your life that one time-"

"Hey, I was fine. I was just working on conserving my energy so I could heal myself. I had it completely under control." I smiled, and so did Loki. We were good again, and I was grateful.

"Oh mhmm. Says the girl who was moments away from bleeding out and freezing into the snow."

"I was only playing dead. It's an excellent survival technique."