Chapter 16

(3rd person POV)

(3rd person POV)

Loki held Lex tightly in his arms while he watched the Avengers take care of their own.

They found Tony Stark first. Thor had to pry the suit open to retrieve him, to which Loki smirked. So powerless Stark was without his precious armor.

They found the soldier next. He looked as if he had frozen to death in the elements. However, when Natasha sucked in a breath at the sight of him, Tony assured her that Captain America was still very much alive, and reminded her that sleeping in ice was a hobby of his.

Loki's head still throbbed from when Thor punched him. His lip stung too where it was split. Of course it didn't bother him too terribly much; he learned how to deal with much greater pain in Thanos' custody. He was determined to keep up a fierce fascad in order to protect Lex. Whatever happened to him, he just wanted Lex to come out unscathed. She had done way too much for him to let her perish on account of his past.

And that's why Loki grew so sinister when Stark began asking questions.

"I'm surprised you gave up so easy, Raindeer games. I guess I'm supposed to assume that girl in your arms turned you soft, but we all know better than that. So who is your little girlfriend? And what makes her so special?"

"What makes her any of your concern?" Loki shot back, equally venomous.

"What makes her my concern?" Stark said, growing angrier by the second. "She fully disabled my suit, she sabotaged our communications, she apparently can fight better than most civilians, and she was housing you. So yes, she is my concern! I want to know who she is, and what the hell she did to my toys!"

Loki bit his tongue to refrain from saying something that would get Lex in more trouble. Perhaps after she awoke they could quietly discuss the situation. She appeared to have a wound on the side of her forehead, and Loki would have healed her right away, had it not been for two things; his magic reserve was depleted, and Thor had fastened magic-suppressing handcuffs onto his wrists. Just like last time. Except this time, he couldn't just escape and make things worse for Lex.

"I suppose we're both stuck in unpleasant circumstances for the time being." Loki finally answered, eyeing Stark with a glare.

When Tony went to retort his fury, Thor gave him a warning glare to stop him. Even though Loki had done terrible things, he was still Thor's little brother, and Thor still instinctively looked out for him. Loki would have been grateful too, had his pride not been in the way.

After a while, all the Avengers had settled down, finally admitting that there was nothing better to be done than wait out the storm. Steve was still sleeping soundly on the bed. Natasha and Tony were sat at the table. Thor sat against the wall next to Loki, and Koda was on his other side, resting his head on Lex's limp hand.

It was no doubt awkward between the two gods. How does one even start a conversation with a background like theirs? Thor even wondered if his brother wasn't too far gone to call him that. Loki sensed the god of thunder's hesitance, and decided he might as well try to get some answers.