Chapter 9

It's hard to patch the hole in a boat while water's still rushing in

Likewise, it was hard to block the Mind Stone's power from Loki while it was still feeding the presence in his mind from thousands of miles away.

Eventually though, I did it, using the same principle as a surge protector. It was one of the hardest and most experimental things I've ever done, but I managed to zero in on the incoming energy, and interfere with the connection so much so that it broke.

And that was only the first step.

In Loki's mind, there was still the presence that remained, and I'd need to repair all the damage it caused, and all this while making sure I didn't suck every ounce of life-energy from his body, and accidently kill him.

Loki had fallen asleep soon after I started cutting off the power of the stone. His body probably accepted how tired it was once it didn't have to fight off an energy-virus anymore, and crashed.

I opened my eyes for the first time after cutting the stone off, taking a small break before I got to work again. Koda was asleep behind me on the bed, where I wouldn't mind being myself at the moment. He looked completely at ease, and I smiled, thinking about how just two weeks ago he wouldn't let Loki out of his sight. Now Koda trusts him enough to let him share our bed.

Loki was sitting in the same position as when we started. He sat against my legs with his head laying back on my lap. He looked so vulnerable, I noticed. More vulnerable than I'd ever seen him before, which also says something about how desperate he was to get his head fixed. His hair was getting pretty greasy and gross, but in the bush, that's normal, and all one can really do is comb it excessively and hope the grease evens out some.

But despite the fact that it wasn't exactly a choice to have greasy hair, it actually fit Loki. It felt thick and soft as I ran my fingers through it. It seemed like it would be slightly curly if it were washed with soap. Not that I'd ever get to see it like that, but the thought was entertaining.

Okay, I've rested enough. It's time to keep working. If I want to get any sleep tonight, I'm just gonna have to buckle down and get this done.

I threaded my fingers in his hair again, connecting my energy to his, and closed my eyes again. The easiest way to actually make energy do what I wanted, was to visualize it.

I when I locked into his energy, I saw a giant yellow glow towards the front of his brain. It looked like the Mind Stone's power had settled in his prefrontal cortex, the part of his brain responsible for decision making, and risk taking. Figures.

I locked on to the destructive yellow desiese and drew it into myself, converting it into normal, useable energy, and had it flow back into Loki's mitochondria, charging his body back up.

It was the same princible as a blood cleaner. When someone's blood needs to be altered in some way, they conect it to flow through a machine and back into the body. I was drawing the bad energy out of his mind, converting it, and sending it back.