Chapter 1- The Lecture

Just before we start. If you would like, send me a message on my instagram. I love to chat about books, movies, music or whatever. I love little emotional support community. No pressure though.

.................................................................

As he pulled open the large wooden door to the lecture theatre, the old door produced a thundering creek. Bewildered by the sound, Spencer cautiously eyed the heavy door as it swung to a close, just as he had cleared the doorway. He was sure that the door had just trimmed a millimetre off the back of his hair.

Adjusting his messenger bag, he turned his back to the door, only to be met by the gaze of 472 pairs of eyes, all of which had turned from facing the front of the lecture room to look at him. Taking in a big gulp and adjusting his suit jacket, he walked deeper into the lecture room, to the desk at the front of the room. All the while he could hear the students hushed muttering.

"Is that him?"

"Must be?"

"He looks so young."

"No, he has to be a student."

"He borderline looks like a teen."

"I heard he can read 20,000 words a minute."

"Not possible."

"You say that but I'm sure I saw him in the library, and I swear to you it was like seeing the Usain Bolt of reading!"

"Is anyone going to talk about the fact that he is kind of cute."

"Damn, you can say that again. At least now we have a pretty face to look at. I don't think I could go another year looking at dreary 82-year-old professors."

"I bet he is going to hate being here. I mean teaching. The man is a FBI BAU profiler, this is going to suck for him. But it's definitely an up for me."

"Oh, who knows, maybe he can profile me."

"Get outa here. In your dreams. You might want to be careful; I think I can see you drooling."

Hearing that last comment made Spencer laugh. They were right he hadn't been the most excited about teaching for a semester at Harvard, when he had first been told about it. But the idea had grown on him. He wasn't happy being away from his team in Quantico, but he had reconciled that it was only for a short time. The most daunting part was that he was lecturing people close to his age, and Spencer wasn't exactly the most comfortable in social situations. So, he had chosen to not think of it as a social situation, rather more of a challenge. The Brass wanted him to take a short sabbatical, so he had to do this, but he was determined to make the most of it.

Reaching the front of the room, he took off his bag and placed it on the chair. He stared at the computer set up for a moment, contemplating. But his inner technophobia kicked in and he shuddered at the thought that he had even considered using the computer as part of his lecture. Meanwhile, all the students in the room stared at him. Feeling uncomfortable in their burning gaze he poured himself a glass of water from the jug that sat on the desk. Quickly gulping it down, he attempted to calm his nerves.

Pulling the glass away from his lips, he gently placed it on the table, lining it up with jug. With his hand still on the glass and feeling the deafening scrutiny from the students, he looked up. As he did, he cleared his throat causing silence to fall across the room.

"Hi everyone, I'm Dr Spencer Reid." He stuttered. "You signed up to this class, so you probably know everything I'm about to say but I'm going to say it regardless." He awkwardly looks around the room, before he continues. "I work as a profiler at the FBI, but I have 3 PhD's so that's why I'm the one teaching the module, and not another member of the team." He says the final statement hesitantly.