Chapter 39- Organised

Spencer sat at his desk, glued to his phone. Every time he heard a notification ping, even if he knew it was not from his phone, he would check his phone anyway.

Before leaving for London, Gia had told him that she would call him as soon as she landed. That was supposed to be an hour ago. He assumed there may have been flight delays, trying not to read to far into it.

His own distraction was short-lived when he saw Hotch rush through the bullpen towards Penelope's office. Derek turned to Spencer; confusion plastered on his face.

Ten minutes later Hotch ran back through, mumbling order into the phone. "Everyone in the conference room." Hotch's gaze scanned the room, momentarily settling on Spencer. "Now," he shouted, causing the whole team to rush to their feet.

Spencer took his seat beside JJ.

Emily motioned to Spencer, "Do you know what this is about?"

Spencer shook his head. "Hotch ran through the bullpen at 7:58. He talked to Garcia for 10 minutes and 24 seconds. Then he came back. He was talking to someone on the phone. He told them to begin canvasing the crime scene and set up a perimeter. Then he told us to come her. He has been in his office on the phone for 4 minutes and 10 seconds."

"Garcia will know," Derek suggested.

Outside the door Rossi and Hotch stood, discussing something that appeared to be highly concerning. Penelope joined in the conversation outside the door briefly, then the trio entered.

"We have a case," Rossi pointed out the obvious. "It is a matter of urgency." Rossi sat in his seat, turning towards the screen that Penelope was setting up.

"I received a call from SSA Coleman. As some of you may know he was leading a protection detail. The detail was contracted until 2am this morning, at which point it was to be terminated. Garcia." Hotch beckoned her to take over.

"The New York office sent these over." Garcia hesitantly threw pictures onto the screen.

The team straightened up in their seats, to get a better look.

"This morning at 2am the five protectees were kidnapped. Their private security agent was left gravely injured at the scene along with eight members of the FBI protection detail. The most interesting this is that the team was nit travelling together. For security reason they were traveling in smaller groups and via different routes. However, they were all ambushed at the same time. They were taken at 2am but authorities were not alerted until 4am. Links were not made with the cases until SSA Colman was informed. Hence why we are now looking into the case." Hotch signalled to Garcia again.

"At the same time?" Derek reiterated.

Hotch nodded.

"That is highly organised behaviour," Emily added. "So, it's a team."

"Organised crime in the United States has a long history. Though most of the 20th century. U.S law enforcement combated what many considered traditional organised crime networks operating inside the united states, including the Italian Mafia, Russian Mafia, Japanese Yakuza and Chinese Tongs. These criminal organisations were involved in a variety of illegal activities, and in the 1950s and 1960s, the most profitable of these activities was gambling followed by loansharking, narcotics trafficking, extortion, prostitution, bootlegging and fraud. Other prominent activities of organised-crime groups were racketeering, theft, murder and money laundering." Spencer informed them. "It's far less common now. So much so that the FBI has less and less agents appointed to Organised Crime every year. They prioritise counterterrorism and counterintelligence. Prevention over cure."

Hotch nodded but moved them along by signalling to Garcia once more.

"Evangeline Condor and Noah Williams were travelling to California by car. Jack Holden was flying to Arizona from Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport. Anna Beckett was flying from Washington Dulles International airport to Naples in Italy. Gia Daris and Lochlan Macdonald were taking a train to JFK to fly back to London." With each name, Garcia pulled a picture up on the screen.

Spencer's heart sank. He remained fixated on the image of Gia on the screen. "No." He mumbled. The he said it louder. "No."

Derek knew. "Reid. Focus."

"What? I spoke to her. I spoke to her. She had arrived at JFK. She had checked in." Spencer's voice shook.

The rest of the team realised what Derek already knew. This was the girl.

"None of them arrived at their destinations." Hotch concluded. "We are flying to New York. We are handling the case from there. Lochlan Macdonald was the only member of the protection team that was not taken. We also have reason to believe that they are all being held in New York. We'll get information when we land. Wheels up in thirty. Garcia, you're coming with us. Reid can I talk to you?"

The rest of the team slowly vacated the room, sympathetically patting Spencer's arm as they did.

"Reid, I'm not taking you off this case, because I think we need you to work it, but if you step out of line, I won't hesitate to send you back home. Got it?"

"Yes." Spencer's voice was meek. All the life had drained from him. It was happening again. He was losing someone again. His eyes were red and puffy. He looked up at Hotch. "Hotch, we have to find her. I can't lose her."

"And we will Reid. Now get your go bag. The quicker we get there the better. You know that. The first 24 hours are crucial, and we only have just over 17 hours left."