Chapter 32- Surprise visit

Spencer arrived at Caltech and sat through the unsufferable socialising with people putting on a façade. He smiled as people chatted to him, trying to uncover the secretes of his life. But he could see straight through them. But her remained civil. He was elated when he was finally able to slip away from the event organised for the reunion. Even managing to dodge Nicholas Zanetti.

He caught a cab and arrived at Gia's new apartment. He raced up the stairs, halting in front of her door. He straightened his tie and adjusted his hair, then he knocked. He could hear footsteps skidding closer to the door. They stopped on the other side of the door. He assumed that she was looking through the looking glass, wandering who would be disturbing her at this time. "Spencer?" she thought out loud and yanked the door open. "What are you doing here?"

"Surprise?" He shrugged.

"Yup. Consider me surprised. Umm come in." She cleared the doorway so that he could enter. He accepted the invitation, taking in her apartment. "So, what brings you to California?" she asked. "Not saying that I don't want you to be here. I'm just surprised," Gia rambled.

"Aside from you. University reunion." He provided her with a cheeky smile.

"Ahhh," she said. "How was it?"

"Honestly, boring. I was jittery the whole time."

"Too many people?" she asked, pouring him a drink.

"That and I had other things I'd rather be doing."

"Really what?" Spencer motioned to his surroundings. "ohhhhhhhhhhh." She laughed. "I get it now, and I am flattered. You hungry?"

He nodded excitedly. "Where is everyone?" He asked, looking around the apartment half expecting someone to walk out.

She sat on the counter opposite him. "Oh, it's just me. Everyone went back to England for the holidays and Lochlan, lives next door." Gia pointed to the wall. "How long are you here?"

Spencer face was glum "I have to fly back to Virginia tomorrow."

"Oh. That's a shame. I thought we were going to get to hang out, like in Boston."

"Yeah. But at least we have now. If you'll have me."

She softly patted his arm. "Obviously." She plated up diner for him placed it on dining table.

They chatted over dinner, until Gia's phone rang. "Hi. Okay slow down. Okay I'll read it. Yes, right now. Bye" She puts her phone down. "You up for some light reading," she asked, flashing a smile at him.

"Sure," he laughed.

She slammed the books down on the table. "Oops," she cringed at the sound. "They are heavy."

"You need to read these?" His eyebrows shot up.

"It's a lot of words," she agreed. "So, I better start." She comfortably plopped herself on the couch. Spencer followed suit and grabbed a book and sat across from her.

Gia scours through the books, periodically scribbling down notes. She feels like she has been doing it for hours. She sighs heavily and looks up, noticing that Spencer is looking at her.

She carries on scanning the text. "You know for someone who can read 20,000 words a minute, it is taking you an awfully long time to read one page." Her posture leaned back in amusement.

"I'm just distracted. You know there has been studies suggesting that the average person's attention span is twelve seconds. Other studies have indicated that a person can concentrate for no longer than 90 minutes." He rambled away until he observed her smiling at him. The skin on her cheeks indented where her dimples were located. "What?" he asked.

"Nothing." Gia shrugged, focusing her attention on her reading.

"I'm a profiler G. Come on what is it?"

"If you're a good profiler as you say, you'll have to figure it out." She stares into his intently. Then she drops her books on the couch between them and scrambles to her feet. "Come on." She pats his thigh and moves towards the door, getting her coat from the hook.

"Huh?" His eyes are wide with confusion.

"We are going out. I am sick of staring at these for walls." She takes his hand, urging him to get off the couch.

She chucks his jacket to him and they both exit the apartment.