Chapter 2- First Impressions

Trying to make his distraction less obvious he carried on, his eyes slide back to scan the rest of the room.

"Every interaction you have with someone gives you clues about their lives. I have three examples of it right here in this room," excitement exuded from him. The students peered around, looking at one another. However, Spencer was only interested in one person's reaction, the girl in the matching camel coloured blazer and skirt, her dark, almost raven black hair hanging loosely past her shoulder. Why was she standing at the back like that, he thought. She continued to look forward, her face unchanged. But Spencer could tell she was intrigued.

He was right. She had just been passing through the hallway when she had heard the lecture and decided to take a peek. She had time to kill. She had been standing there ever since. It wasn't just the lecture that held her there, even though she valued education. If she was honest, the content was only 50% of the reason she stayed. The other 50% was because of a tall genius, with wild curly hair and the most awkward yet eccentric personality.

After the short pause Spencer had allowed himself to observe the newcomer he snapped back to reality.

"Mr Asher Cohen," he announced. Asher's eyes opened wider. "From our short interaction I can tell you are confident but doesn't take a genius to figure that out. You have alpha male personality. Plays a sport, but which one? Ah lacrosse. Defender. No, midfield," he corrected himself. "From your accent you sound like you were from Boston originally, but moved somewhere a bit more non-distinct dialect wise... California." He waited for a sign from Asher that he was on the right path. He was. "But you're in Boston now. Always dreamed of Harvard. I'm glad you got here." Spencer added making Asher smile. "Final thing," Spencer informed them. "From your reaction to Miss Bryant I can tell you're not a big fan, but I won't pry any further than that," Spencer concluded.

The whole class was stunned. Within seconds they erupted into chatter trying to figure out what they had just witnessed. Spencer took that opportunity to observe the young woman, who was still at the door but was now standing up straight, not leaning against the door. One of her hands dropped from her chest and raised again to tuck her hair behind her right ear and adjust her glasses on her face. But aside from that Spencer couldn't read her. That's what appealed to him.

Spencer was drawn back to the class by the voice of a student.

"Dr Reid, you said you had three examples."

"Indeed, I did," Spencer pulled his gaze from the back of the glass and rested it on Grace Johnson. "Grace Johnson. You look younger than the rest of your class members, eighteen maybe." She nodded. "So, you must have graduated high school at sixteen. Classic overachiever. That is a compliment by the way. I didn't mean for it to sound rude," he reassured her. "But you resent it a bit I can tell. Being the smartest in the room isn't easy. Especially not when you want to make your parents proud. I wouldn't worry about that you're doing a great job. Pre-med major?" he questioned. She nodded back. He returned with a smile.

"Finally, Clara-Jane Bryant." Spencer announced. "You said Georgetown and that got me thinking. That pendent, the slight red that runs through your hair. Are you Senator Bryants daughter?" She acknowledged him with a yes. He nodded to himself in satisfaction. "Definitely a sorority girl, but which one? Alpha Phi?" Clara-Jane didn't have to answer, the other students around her answered instead.

"As if she lets us hear the end of it." Someone shouted out. Spencer ignored them.

"You're a legacy student. Obviously studying at the law school. How do you have time to take this class?" he asked.

"What do you mean?" she said, puzzled by his question.

"Firstly, you don't technically need this class. I'm also positive that you fit everything you can into your busy schedule that you can."

"What else what I do? I don't want to waste my time." She retorted.

Spencer shook his head.

"That's not the reason," he said. Spencer found that although he is talking to the class his eyes keep getting drawn to girl at the back of the room. She had stepped forward a little, standing directing behind the back row, arms folded again. She had rolled her sleeves up a little and Spencer noticed the intricate bracelet on her right wrist, even though he is standing across the room.

Spencer didn't look away from her when Clara-Jane asked him what he thought the reason was.

"You just want to show your parents that you are just as good as them if not better. The majority of your life they have been too busy working, that sometimes they don't notice your accomplishments," he responded. He doesn't bother to look at Clara-Janes reaction. Around Spencer the class has erupted in a buzz, but he remained unfazed.

At the same time at the back of the room, the girl stood in awe of what she has just witnessed. She was glad that she chose to drop in on this class. She was replaying what she observed in her mind, when the door cracked open again and an official looking man in an expensive black suit walked in to get her attention. He pointed to his watch. She looked at hers too.

"It's time G," the man in the suit whispered. At the sound of the man saying her name, well her nickname, she turned to look at him, sighing and moved to leave the room.

All this time she has not noticed that Spencer was still distracted by the events occurring at the back of the room. He only focused back on his class when he saw the girl leaving the room followed by a man in a suit, who appeared to be some type of security. Spencer couldn't help but notice the wire snaking up the man's neck before disappearing behind his ear. As the door closed behind them, Spencer snapped his focus back to the class and continued the lecture.