Chapter 3- A Cup of sugar with a dash of Coffee

Over the next couple of weeks, Spencer continued to teach his classes.

After the first lecture he had almost forgotten about the distraction from his first lecture, but only after he had checked his class roster and determined the girl was not signed up to his class.

The eleven lectures he gave over a fortnight went by with no distractions, and Spencer was gaining more and more confidence in front of the class.

It was his last lecture of the week. Spencer walked into the lecture room at 10:58 am. Students were still piling into the room from their previous classes. Not long after the class had started, Spencer noticed a blur of black from the corner of his eyes. Immediately snapping his head, he focused on the back of the room and saw the same girl from the first lecture, quietly shuffle into the room and gracefully take a seat on the empty back row. This time she was clad in a black silk shirt tucked into a pair of black trousers, she once again crossed her arms and gazed to the front of the room.

Luckily for Spencer, being this was the last lecture of the week, and students were to give in their weekly assignment at the end of the class, he spent the majority of the lesson answering students' questions. If had had to present new material his distraction may have become obvious. He tried to ignore the fact that she was here. He couldn't. I guess that's the downside of having an eidetic memory. He just couldn't let it go. Over the course of an hour, he had grown so accustomed to her intrusion, that every few minutes his eyes would flicker to the back of the room to see if she was there. The more he saw her the more curious he became. He revelled in the mystery. Why was she here? Who was she?

With clock approaching 12pm the same man in the black suit came in and escorted her out. This time he was accompanied by a short lady, in her late thirties. Spencer found himself resenting when they came in. Within seconds they whisked her away.

It turned out that Spencer did not have to wait too long to see the mystery girl again.

It was his third Saturday on campus. He didn't have any classes, but he had assignments to grade. He had attempted to grade them in his apartment, but it seemed that every resident of his apartment building wanted to produce as much noise as the possibly could.

After finally, giving in and accepting he wouldn't be able to work from the comfort of his home office, he decided to head into campus and work in the office there instead. He couldn't imagine many students would be about in the building causing a ruckus.

Before he headed into his office, he took the opportunity to grab his fifth coffee of the day. He checks his watch and saw that it was 2:34pm. He frowns, acknowledging that he probably shouldn't be consuming this much coffee if he wants to be able to sleep at night. But even still he opens the door to the coffee shop.

Inside the coffee shop, he was pleased by the lack of people. He stood in the line, only one person in front of him, and soaked in the peacefulness, almost basking in the rumble produced by the milk frother. All of a sudden, he felt awake, when the coffee shop door opens, letting the cool, late September breeze waft in. Behind him, the female who walked in was on her phone. He appreciated that she was not speaking very loudly on the phone. Unconsciously, he eavesdropped.

"I'm aware of that, but you really do have to trust me on this. Using the synthesised vector might be more cost effective, but you'll be compromising on the efficacy and efficiency of the final product, not to mention we would be relying on supply of the vector. For now, we can only get that from the Ukraine." The gentle voice, steady and calm, sounded tired by the conversation. Spencer took a moment trying to place the voice, it felt familiar. He had an urge to turn around and identify the source, but he resisted so not to be caught in an awkward stare.