Chapter 11- Whiskey and Intervention

Thirty minutes later, they arrived at the bar.

Spencer had been avoiding this area of town. He already had students coming up to him around the campus, at coffee shops and in parking lots. This was the last place he wanted to be. The thought of intoxicated college students, both undergrad and grad, was sending chills down his spine. He had successfully avoided this kind of exposure when he was at college himself, but he couldn't save himself from Morgan.

Stepping out of the car, Spencer began walking down the sidewalk, but was pulled back by Morgan.

"Kid loosen up a bit. You look like you're going for a job interview."

"Morgan this is how I dress. What do you want me to do?"

"I don't know. Sort it out."

Spencer sighed in disbelief. He pulled off his suit jacket, chucking it onto the back seat of the car, and pulled his sweater vest over his head and loosened his tie to remove it, depositing them both in the car too. He slammed the door close, like a child throwing a tantrum and sauntered off. Derek laughed at the display of immaturity and followed Spencer.

He caught up to Spencer. Spencer was rolling up the sleeved of his white shirt to expose his forearms and unbutton the top two buttons of his shirt. When they arrive in front of the chosen bar for the evening Spencer turns to Derek.

"Happy?"

"Looking suave, pretty boy." Derek messed up Spencer's hair and pulled open the bar door holding it open for two ladies first, before walking in himself.

Inside the atmosphere was just as Spencer had imagined. It was crowded and loud. He decided it was best to focus his attention on Derek and just stick close to him.

Derek was wading his way through the clusters of people dancing and drinking, towards the bar. Spencer followed.

Spencer was pretty disoriented, so much so that when the bartender asked what he wanted he was too busy surveying the room, that only Derek's hand whacking into him focused him.

"Oh... just club soda please," he requested and then went back to surveying the room. Derek rolled his eyes before nodding to the bartender to confirm the order.

"Reid, forget the crowd." Derek adjusted himself on his seat, leaning his right arm on the bar, still facing Spencer. Spencer turned away from the crowd and placed his folded arms on the bar but kept his head angles towards Derek.

Over time Spencer became less uncomfortable. He focused on his conversation with Derek and paid no mind to what was unfolding around him. He actually felt lighter. He was having fun talking to Derek, who was filling him on FBI drama and quizzing Spencer on his time at Harvard.

"Dr Reid?" A voice bellowed from behind him startling him. He turned to investigate.

"Mr Coldwell," he reciprocated. "He is in one of my classes," Spencer enlightened a confused Derek,

"I never thought I would see the day. I didn't pin you as the partying type."

"I'm not."

"I might have to go to another bar," the student exclaimed to his friends.

"Why?" Spencer asked.

"Now you and your FBI friend have graced this bar. I don't think there is going to be much left for us. Have a good night." The student and his friends walked off to join the dance floor.

Spencer was just turning back to Derek, when a young woman leaned against the bar next to him.

"This is a good look for you Dr Reid."

"Umm... thank you. I'm sorry I don't think I know you."

"But I know you. I'm Ashleigh," she announced extending her hand. Spencer just looked at it, not moving. Ashleigh's eyes narrowed after a few seconds of Spencer not shaking her hand. "I'm not taking your class. I'm a student at the grad school Lit department. Poetry"

"But you know who I am?"

"Almost everyone on campus knows who you are." She turned back and saw her friends beckoning her. "It was nice meeting you. Maybe I'll see you around soon." Smiled, slightly biting her lip, before walking away.

"Well, isn't someone popular today," Derek teased.

"Shut up, Morgan," Spencer grumbled before picking up his drink to find the glass empty. He slammed it back on the table. Derek's mouth twitched, trying to suppress his laughter.

He signalled to the bartender.

"Two whiskeys neat." The bartender slid them over. Spencer eyed Derek, as Derek pushed a glass over to him.

"Come on Spencer. It's just one." Spencer gave in and put his hand around the glass.

"So, tell me Reid. What has you so distracted?" Derek speculated, as he took a sip from his drink.

"Nothing," Spencer spluttered.

"Really."

"Yes. Nothing."

"Whatever you say man. Whatever you say." Derek smirked into his glass. "Is it the sabbatical?"

"No," Spencer replied, honestly.

"Is it the party next week?"

"No."

"Is it that girl, Ashleigh," he pressed.

"No."

"She was into you."

"I didn't notice."

"You didn't notice?"

"Nope." Spencer took a swig from his drink, swirling whiskey around the glass. "She is not my type." This made Derek burst out into laughter.

"Okay, Mr Ladies man. What is your type?"

"I don't know."

"You just said Ashleigh is not your type, so you must know." Spencer felt like Derek's stare was piercing through his skull. "Ahhh, I see."

"See what?" Spencer worriedly retorted.

"There is someone else. You don't have a type, because you have your eyes on one person."

"Pfft, a crush. What are we in middle school? I think someone might need to brush up on their profiling skills," Spencer snapped.

"Hmm." That was all Derek said.

"What?" Spencer exclaimed. "What?"

"Nothing."

"There has to be something you just went 'Hmm.'" Spencer mimicked Derek.

"I didn't say crush," Derek triumphantly smiled.

"What?" Spencer's cheeks warming in realisation.

"I didn't say crush," Derek repeated slowly, emphasising each word. "You did."

"That's not what I meant."

"It's okay Spencer. You don't have to say anything else. I won't bring it up again," Derek interrupted, before going back to consuming his drink.