Chapter 23- Jealous

"She doesn't have eight fish named after elements of the periodic table," he speculated, but he knew he was right.

Derek looked at Gia to get confirmation. She nodded.

"Would you mind sharing with us how you determined that Dr Reid?" Derek requested.

Reid began to explain but spoke directly to Gia and not to the class.

"I said at the start about Gia not falling into the normal distribution. I didn't think it would be the first one. I still asked though. She is definitely an only child. There were many reasons but to name a few. She's incredibly independent. She doesn't mind time alone. She is wise beyond her years. As for the dance around the kitchen. Her rambling persuaded me. She was giving just enough information, but not too little to make it seem ungenuine. All her micro expressions and body language pointed towards her being truthful too. And her lie. Well, she did well thinking on her feet to answer my questions, but she was diverting her gaze. Her hands were held tighter. Pulse slightly raised. She hesitated a little. Was slightly more in denial then normal. Also, she tried to distract me with a joke."

The class gawped at the simplicity in which he explained it. They clapped out of respect.

"Alright, you heard the man. Now it's your turn. Pair up. Let's see what you learnt." Derek wandered around the room, checking in on all the students.

For the next few moments Spencer and Gia sat frozen in their positions. Gia searched around the room looking for Dean Thompson, who had disappeared in the crowd of students. Abandoning the search her head slowly drifted back to Spencer. His gaze absent-mindedly rested on Gia.

"'ll be waiting for that pie, by the way. You know I have major sweet." Her sweet voice completely serious.

"Yes, I gathered." He chuckled.

"What else did you gather?" His question took Spencer aback. He pulled a face to express that he didn't know what she meant. "Come on Spencer. Might as tell me while I wait for Dean Thompson to resurface."

"Only if you answer my question first?"

"Alright. What is it?"

"Did you see my messages?" Gia automatically burst into laughter when she heard Spencer's question. That gave Spencer his answer.

"Gia. I asked you to delete them." Spencer wined in self-pity.

"I did. But I just happened to read them first." She couldn't contain her enjoyment. "Now your turn," she probed when she had calmed down.

"Does it matter?" He quirked in response. His nose scrunched a little in anticipation.

"Do you realise that you do that?" Gia spoke her thoughts out loud, resting her chin in her hand.

"Do what?" Without realising he licked his lips.

"That cute nose thing." Her finger pointed to his nose, while her hand still rested in her chin.

"Cute?" His hands instinctively rose to his nose.

"To answer your question. Umm... I don't know maybe it matters a bit." She diverted her gaze, bringing the conversation back.

"It shouldn't. Just be yourself. It doesn't matter what other people think of you. Took me a while to figure that out, but it's a massive weight off your shoulders when you do." Spencer melted as her saw Gia's bottom lip protrude, indicating her understanding. "Enough of the life lesson. I can't believe you twenty-five."

"Almost twenty-six," she corrected. "And why?"

Spencer shook his head slightly. "You are just something else."