Chapter 49- Our turn

Spencer stepped into the interrogation room and placed a file down on the table, unbuttoned his tuxedo jacket and gracefully sat across from Enzo, who grunted as Spencer sat down.

"Do I have to talk to you? Don't they have someone else?" Enzo shuddered.

"Unfortunately, you don't get a choice," Spencer quirked.

"I won't talk to you." Enzo scoffed.

"Well, that is your prerogative." Spencer shifted the file on the table and leaned back against the backrest. "I suppose we'll just sit here then." He slid his hand into his pocket."

"You didn't let me finish, Dr Reid." Enzo leaned forward and rested his handcuffed arms wrists on the table. "I won't talk to you, unless you answer some of my questions."

"What type of questions?" Spencer yawned.

"That is for me to know and you to find out?" Enzo scoffed. "And one more thing. I will only talk if my wife is in the same room."

"I think you might be mistaken. You don't actually have any power in this scenario Enzo." Spencer pointed at their surroundings.

Enzo chuckled. "Have it your way then Dr Reid. But I hope you realise that you may have me and Cesca, but that won't stop them from getting to Gia. She belongs to us. To them. They will never stop. It's only a matter of time. If not now. Perhaps another time."

Spencer clenched his fist. He blew air out of his mouth and turned his head to the one-way glass. He pondered for a second. Then he pushed his chair back and abruptly exited the room.

"You are not seriously thinking about entertaining this," Derek folded his arms tightly.

Spencer stood inches from the one-way glass staring at Enzo.

Emily huffed as she entered the room. "They must have planned this." She slammed her file down on the table.

"What?" Derek asked.

JJ intervened. "Francesca Ricci wants exactly what Enzo Ricci wants."

"How convenient," Rossi muttered.

"Reid. What do you think?" Hotch asked.

Spencer exhaled, in deep thought. "I agree this is planned and that we shouldn't give them what they want."

"Thank you," Derek proudly added, dropping his arms.

"But I think we should. By virtue, cult members are almost narcissistic by indoctrination. They think what they are doing is for the best. We can exploit that. Get al the information we need and then take them down. Else there is a chance that same thing could happen again a few years down the line."

"What about what they will exploit from you?" Derek questioned.

"I'm willing to take that risk."

Hotch thought about it for a moment. "Alright let's do it. But let's keep them guessing. Transfer them both to Quantico and let's keep them out the loop of what we are planning. Keep them guessing. It will make them desperate. They are more likely to make mistakes then."

The team slowly nodded in approval.

Spencer went back inside the interrogation room, startling Enzo as he entered. He silently picked up the file and went to leave the room. He could feel Enzo's eyes piercing a hole through his skull. Spencer left the door open and instructed an officer to take Enzo to his cell.

"Wait," Enzo shouted. "You would put her in danger like that. I thought you liked her."

Spencer ignored Enzo has best he could and walked.

The following day Enzo and Francesca were separately transferred to Quantico, much to their despise.

When they arrived in Quantico, they were immediately taken to the BAU interrogation.

"You gave in Dr Reid. Maybe you do care about her." Enzo jeered, grinning at his wife, who was say 3 meters adjacent to him.

"Let's get started." Spencer flipped open his file. "How do you know Gia Daris?"

"Do we really know her at all?" Enzo speculated to Francesca.

Francesca shook her head. "No, she wasn't anything like we had expected. As for how we came to know of her. Well, she may as well be my sister."

Spencer frowned. They had nothing in common. What did Francesca mean?

"Our turn," Francesca clapped excitedly. "How is that you know Gia?"

"At Harvard. I was teaching. She was researching." Spencer answered quickly. He cleared his throat and moved on. "Why did you need her? Why did you kidnap her?"

"As we said she already belonged to us. We were just taking back what was rightfully ours. It was her time to return to us and give us the gift we have been waiting for."

"Who is 'us'?" Spencer interrupted.

"Uh uh uh, Dr Reid. It's our turn." Enzo sneered. "What do you feel when you see Gia?"

Spencer stuttered.

"Oh, you haven't told her," Francesca concluded. "Never mind then. It's obvious anyway."

"Who is 'us'?" Spencer repeated.

"Does it matter," both Francesca and Enzo answer together.

"What matters is that we are saving everyone." Enzo added.

"Is that what you call it. Killing all those people."

"It's for their own good," Francesca defended.

"So, you decided to play God. Decide who gets to live and who has to die." Spencer sneered.

"That is not what we are doing. And you should be grateful. You were one of the chosen ones." Enzo complained. "Do you think you are good enough for her?"

"What?" Spencer mumbled.

"It's a simple question," Enzo goaded.

Spencer did not respond.

"Come on, this is the deal. You answer our questions. We answer yours"

"I don't know" Spencer muttered.

"That's right. You don't know. Let's see what we know. You're a genius. Has anyone ever asked you about your autistic leanings? High IQ usually means low EQ. What about the fact that your mother is a paranoid schizophrenic? You may have crossed the threshold, but don't tell me you're not worried. Or that she has Alzheimer's. Not knowing must kill you. With your future so uncertain, how could you provide for someone else. Just because you get along doesn't mean you are right for each other."

Spencer winced at the sharp words.

Hotch bombarded into the room. "I am terminating this interview."

Spencer shot up from his seat and raced out of the room.

"Reid," Derek called out behind Spencer. But Spencer was already out of earshot.

"Let him go Morgan," Hotch insisted.