Chapter 27- Friends

Gia shifted her neck. She rubbed her neck, sitting up, taking in her surroundings.

"Falling asleep on the couch is the worst." A voice startled Gia. Spencer sat up rubbing his neck too.

"What time is it?" Gia groaned, rubbing her eyes.

"Almost 7:30." Spencer watched as gears turn in her brain. "How long has it been since you slept?"

"More than 3 hours? Longer than I can remember." Gia sighed getting up from the couch.

"Gia."

Gia stopped in her tracks. "Yeah?"

"I'd... um like to hang out with you. If you'd be open to that?"

"In what respect?" she joked, after a short pause.

"G." he laughed back his cheeks flushing red.

"Spencer... I would love that." They both smiled at each other.

"I am going to leave before the others wake up." Spencer scrambled to collect his jacket and bow tie. Gia nodded and waited for him and saw him to the door.

After the night of the Harvard Fete, Gia and Spencer's friendship bloomed. Whenever they had a free moment, they would spend it together.

That's how Spencer found Gia sitting in his apartment scrolling through the TV as he packed his final belongings. His sabbatical was almost over, and he was headed back to Quantico the following day.

"What do you want to watch?" She called out. When he didn't respond she turned to look at him. "What?" She saw him staring at her. She placed the TV controller down and joined him by his desk, helping him pack his last few books. "You should keep one out for the flight," she suggested.

"Yeah. How about you pick one?"

"Alright. But it's a surprise. I'll put it in your hand luggage. Also, seriously what do you want to watch?"

"Doctor Who?"

"Yeah okay," Gia flopped back down on the couch, intently searching. Spencer took his place on the couch, scooting a little closer to Gia then he normally would.

"I'm never going to be able to watch Doctor Who again," he groaned.

"Why?"

"How will I watch it without your commentary?" He joked.

"Hey," she gently poked him. "You're the one that goes off on a tangent about the science behind it. We have to pause the whole show so you can explain it. One episode takes us over two hours to watch."

"Oh, you love it," he teased.

"So, what if I said I did." Gia trained her eyes back on the TV.

Spencer realised that he doesn't think he has ever met someone who understands him, until now.

"I have to get back," Gia announced as the credits for the episode began. She peered out the window and could see the lights in her apartment still on.

"Right, yeah." Spencer's face fell.

"Have a safe flight, Spence." Gia walked over to the door. Spencer followed suit.

"Thanks." Spencer gulped, debating his next move. He decided to just do it. He extended his arms and engulfed Gia in a hug. The force at which he did taking her by surprise. He rested his chin down on her should, finding the perfect place to bury his face in her neck. He lightly rubbed his hands over her back. "Goodbye Gia," he sighed. All the while, Gia was stoic, still startled. She came to her senses and reciprocated the hug, patting him on the back. She didn't pull away until he did.

"Goodbye, Dr Spencer Reid." Gia stepped out of the doorway and made her way down the stairs.

Spencer stood at the door, for a moment, reeling. He finally exhaled and closed the door. He opened his hand luggage by the window. He fished out the book that Gia had selected for him. His eyes widened as he pulled out a copy of One Thousand and One Nights. A smile twitched on his face. Looking out the window he saw Gia crossing the road to her apartment. She looked up at Spencer and waved up at him, before disappearing into the apartment building. Leaving Spencer with his hand involuntarily still waving, even though she had already left.