𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑡𝑤𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑦-𝑡ℎ𝑟𝑒𝑒

You had entered Snape's classroom after dinner in the Great Hall had ended. The entire meal, Pansy had been shooting you dirty looks. Which, was nothing out of the ordinary. Detention with her was the last thing you wanted to do, seen as she seemed to have a lot more to say to you about your current situation. You rest your head on your desk as you wait for Pansy and Snape to arrive. You heard a noise behind you as you saw Snape strut in, looking displeased as per usual.

"I see you just invite yourself into empty classrooms now, Miss Viper," Snape snapped. You cleared your throat, feeling flustered.

"I am sorry Professor," you muttered.

"It is not surprising. You seem to get yourself into plenty of trouble these days. This is the second detention you have received on account of Miss Parkinson. I do not wish to tell your father of the recent... situations you have gotten into, including Mr. Diggory. However, maybe it is the redirection you require, seen as detention is clearly not helping."

Pansy had been waiting at the door, listening and smirking before entering. "I agree," she mocked. You rolled your eyes as Snape whipped around to wave Pansy in.

"I am not pleased with you either, Miss Parkinson. Two perfectly good young Slytherin women, wasted. You both have excellent potential and reputable blood lines. I will not watch the two of you fail them any further," Snape drawled, gesturing for Pansy to sit at the desk next to you. "Now, I will have to leave for a brief meeting. I expect the two of you to behave and do some tidying up here. I need the stores of potion material organized, desks cleaned, textbooks wiped down, and floors swept. I will be taking your wands. Absolutely no magic is permitted."

You and Pansy both groaned as you handed Snape your wands. He exhaled deeply before leaving the classroom. Pansy glanced over to you, then quickly away. You sighed, getting up to sit next to her. "Let's just talk about this," you chirped softly.

"No time, you heard Snape. We have loads of work to do."

"Pansy, please."

"There's nothing to talk about, (y/n)."

"Yes there is. You're upset, I can tell."

"Can we please just finish the tasks we were given. I'm really tired," Pansy let out quietly. You nodded your head, getting up and retrieving the broom.

As you swept, Pansy went through all of the textbooks in the cupboard and rid them of scribbles and germs. The two of you worked in silence, solely focused on finishing the given tasks so that you could return to the common room. This went on for a half an hour, before Pansy suddenly stopped organizing the cupboards. Her back slid down the cobblestone wall as she sat down on the cold floor.

"Why doesn't he look at me the way he looks at you," Pansy whispered, staring blankly. You gawked at her for several moments before putting down the broom and maneuvering to sit beside her.

"Like what, Pans," you asked softly. You watched as a tear slipped down her face before she quickly wiped it away.

"Merlin, you're so clueless sometimes," she whispered, giggling a little. "But so am I. I just may be even more clueless than you. He never wanted to go to the ball with me. Deep down, I knew that. It's funny how I ignored his infatuation with you so I could soak up just fifteen seconds of his attention. I've resented you since first year just for this reason. Draco automatically cared so much for you. You effortlessly made him smile with your presence. I understood why, of course. Everything about you is enchanting. Everyone wants to be friends with you, and those that don't are simply jealous of your abilities. I am one of those people. I got so caught up in wanting to be you that I never truly told you how much I admired you. Almost like how a child looks up to someone older and wiser, I looked up at you and saw what I thirsted to be. It's exhausting."