𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑠𝑖𝑥𝑡𝑒𝑒𝑛

December 1

Dear diary,

When he touches my skin, my soul ignites. His eyes are ones that I could get lost in for centuries. His attention is addictive, so much that I crave it every waking hour. When his harsh words inject me like the venom of a snake, I feel strangely safe.

Because I know that he'll comfort me, deep down, he's just as broken as I am. Shattered by the pressure to be evil and vindictive. His cold, statue-like hands grow tighter around me. He's perfection, carved articulately by the finest artist.

Yet, our friendship grows more and more toxic each day. It spreads like an infection or the series of veins that pop from his pale skin.

I know he's terrible for me, but he's just so...

"What are you writing?" A voice asked from behind you, causing you to jump and spill the ink from your quill. You scrambled to pick up the black goo before it could continue to spread on the pages of your journal.

"I'm sorry," Cedric said softly, taking a seat across from you at one of the tables in the library. You looked up from your ink-filled diary and smiled at him.

"It's alright. It's nothing, just about my day," you lied. Cedric nodded his head, looking away nervously.

"So, did the head of your house make you learn how to waltz too," Cedric asked, fidgeting with his yellow Hufflepuff tie. You laughed and twirled a strand of your hair.

"Yeah, it was actually kind of funny. Snape made Pansy dance with him," you said between giggles.

"You think that's bad? Professor Sprout made me dance with her," Cedric joked. You both burst out into laughter, causing the other students trying to study to 'shush' you.

"Yeah, well, it turns out I can't dance whatsoever. Draco tried to lift me, and I nearly died," you sneered. Cedric's grin faded at the mention of Malfoy's name. He looked at you for a moment before responding.

"This still seems so unreal. I never thought that I'd be in the Triwizard Tournament. Here I am, in my sixth year, and battling dragons with the boy who lived," Cedric said jokingly.

"I never thought that I'd be learning here with the boy who lived. Having him in my year is such a weird experience," you said, fidgeting with the sleeves of your robes.

"Do you two talk," Cedric questioned. You raised an eyebrow, reaching up to flip your hair.

"Yeah, we're friends. I mean, he's really nice. Other than the fact that he doesn't exactly agree with the people I spend my time with," you said quietly. Cedric scrunched up his nose in confusion.

"Malfoy?"

"Yeah. They aren't exactly...friendly," you replied. Cedric nodded his head.

"Well, as much as I don't really keep up with what goes on in your year, I can see where Harry is coming from. Draco can be-"

"Mean," you finished his sentence.

"Well, yeah, I guess to be blunt," Cedric laughed.

"I know he is. It's just, I know it's cliche, but he's different around me. I guess sometimes he can be a little bit..harsh," you said, looking around nervously.

"No yeah, I get it," Cedric said, leaning forward to rest his chin on his hand. You heard some laughing and whispering coming from behind a bookshelf, noticing that there was a group of boys in canary yellow Hufflepuff robes. One of the boys whispered rather loudly, 'when is the git going to ask her.' Cedric's cheeks flushed a shade similar to the pinkest of peonies.