𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑒𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡

After all of the delicious food from the feast was finished, it was time to discover the Triwizard Tournament champions. All the houses were eagerly sitting at their tables, waiting for Dumbledore to select the names.

"This is going to be so great," Draco said, smirking from ear to ear. Every Slytherin within earshot sneered.

"Settle down," Dumbledore ordered, waiting for everyone to quiet and take their seats.

"Now, the moment you've all been waiting for, the Champion Selection!" With a wave of his hand, all the torches in the Great Hall were put out. He walked over to the Goblet centered in the front of the room, waiting for it to select the first champion. The Goblet's blue flame flared into a scarlet red, spitting a slip of parchment out of the ashes.

Holding the piece of smoking parchment, Dumbledore read, "The Durmstrang champion is... Viktor Krum!" With this, the Durmstrang boys roared with cheers for Krum, who now got up to shake the Headmaster's hand.

The Goblet roared ferociously again, spitting out a doily piece of pastel blue parchment. "The champion for Beauxbatons is Fleur Delacour," Dumbledore said keenly. The Beauxbatons girls screamed for Fleur as she strutted her way over to Dumbledore, giving him a warm handshake.

The Hogwarts champion was the last to be selected, and the anticipation radiated off of every student. "The Hogwarts champion, Cedric Diggory," Dumbledore shouted with excitement. The whole Great Hall broke out in applause, cheering for their champion. Cedric smiled as he walked over to his Headmaster.

"Well, would you look at that, Diggory is going to compete after all," Draco spat from beside you. You felt sick to your stomach thinking about Cedric competing, but the grin on his face told you that he deserved the chance to achieve eternal glory.

"Excellent! We now have our three champions. But in the end, only one will go down in history. Only one will hoist this chalice of champions, this vessel of victory... the Triwizard Cup," Dumbledore announced as a glowing blue trophy was unveiled. The Hall once again erupted with cheers. Quite abruptly, the Goblet of Fire ruptured and spat streams of gleaming fire. Dumbledore meandered over to it with a puzzled expression. The flame grew crimson once again as Dumbledore shielded his eyes from the bright outburst. Projected out of the ashes was one more piece of smoking parchment, which Dumbledore hesitantly reached his arm to grasp. I thought there were only three champions in the tournament, you thought.

"Harry Potter...," Dumbledore muttered, searching the room for a boy with round glasses.

"Harry Potter?" he asked, slightly louder as students gasped. No, it can't be Harry. Draco's face was now animated with disgust and dismay.

"No. No," Hagrid said, shaking his head reluctantly.

"HARRY POTTER," Dumbledore shouted, causing many to jump. From a couple of tables down, you could see Harry shaking with fear. As Ron gave him a look of betrayal, Hermione pushed him on his feet. Potter slowly made his way to Dumbledore with an expression as if he was going to be sick. Students began to yell "cheat" and "he's not even seventeen yet" as Harry went to join the other champions.

"This is bloody ridiculous. If Potter gets to be in the tournament, so should anyone," Draco spat. No, this can't be right. The only way Harry's name would be put into the Goblet is if he tricked the enchantments, you thought hectically. Now you really felt like you were going to be sick.

First Cedric and now Harry?

                                       ☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎

The banter and gossip about Harry being selected as a fourth champion did not halt to a stop as the houses returned to their common rooms. However, it appeared that your house had the most to say.

"I'm honestly not surprised that he's a cheat, his life itself was cheated when Voldemort didn't kill him that night," Theodore Nott said, followed by Draco giving him a high five.

"Exactly, that little worm's whole life has been eternal glory. Now he's just clawing for more to fill up the hole of his dead mummy and daddy," Draco spat. All the Slytherins that were walking through the halls of the dungeons burst out into laughter.

"Don't you think that's a bit harsh," you said. Suddenly, everyone went quiet as Draco stopped walking, slowly turning to look at you.

"A bit harsh, yeah? He weaseled his way into the tournament. If anything, Cedric's just gained a new supporter. Now that Potter's in the running, Diggory is my new best friend," he sneered. You began to start walking again, deciding not to respond. Draco ran to catch up to you, which was what you expected. Draco hated when people treated him like he was nothing.

"Nothing to say, ay? I guess I've finally knocked some sense into you," he said, trying to get you to fight back.

"Whatever, Draco. You win, alright?" you said as you neared the passageway. "Pureblood," you named the password. You started to walk towards the girl's dormitories, but before you turned into the doorway, someone grabbed you by the arm. Draco turned you around to look at him.

"Go on, say what you were going to say. You have to have something," he was really trying to get you to argue with him. Draco always had to be right. He just had to have everything he wanted.

"Draco, I am exhausted, alright? I am not going to fight with you about something you would never change your mind on," you said, turning away. Before entering the girl's dormitories, you looked back to see Draco standing in shock. Probably because you always fought with him.

"Goodnight, Malfoy," you said softly as you entered.

You plopped yourself onto your four-poster bed and sighed. You hated how good days could change to terrible ones in a matter of minutes. The year had barely even begun, and you already wanted it to end. All you had now were these quiet moments you occasionally shared with yourself. When there was no one fighting with you, no one telling you who you should and shouldn't be acquainted with. It's okay, (Y/N) all you can do now is make sure that Cedric and Harry are safe during the tournament, you thought to yourself. That was something to look forward to tomorrow, finding Harry and talking to him. You just needed to hear it from him that he didn't cheat.