𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑒𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡𝑒𝑒𝑛

To my loving daughter,

    I miss you more than I could ever put into words. Your school informed us that the Yule Ball is coming up! Your grandmother used to tell me about the night of her Yule Ball during the Triwizard Tournament thousands and thousands of times. I assume that you will be needing a gown to wear if you were planning to go, of course. Has anyone asked you yet? What am I kidding? You probably have a line of young men asking to court you! If your father and I were more put together, we would've taken you to look for your gown before you were off to school. I guess you will just have to trust my judgment. Let me know.

Love,

Mum

X

     You stared at her writing for a couple more seconds, debating whether or not you should tell her who you were actually going with. Even if she were to be okay with it, your father wouldn't be. You hated yourself for what you were about to do, but you put the letter down and made your way to the door of the boy's dorms. Hearing voices inside, you hesitated to knock. Theo came to the door, opening it slightly and staring at you for a moment. He opened the door all the way, showing the boys all horseplaying and eating candy inside. Draco was sitting on the ledge of the window in the far corner, reading a brown-leather book.

"Draco, could I have a word with you," you asked, shouting over the noise. Malfoy looked up from his book, shaking his head yes. He climbed over the other boys and closed the door behind him.

"Yes?" He questioned. You cleared your throat.

"I have a proposal," you said softly. Draco raised an eyebrow. "My parents can't know that I'm going to the ball with Diggory. My father would never speak to me again."

"And what would you like for me to do about that," Malfoy asked sarcastically.

"What if...we told our parents that we are going together. We could take pictures and everything, you know, to make it look real," you said. Draco scoffed.

"I'm already going with someone. I've asked Pansy," Malfoy said. You rolled your eyes.

"That doesn't matter, you git. We are both going to go with different dates. We are just telling our parents that we are going together," you sneered.

"What's in it for me? My parents would be fine with my date because I'm not going with a half-blood."

"What's with you with this whole pureblood supremacy thing? And why does there have to be something in it for you? Can't you just do something for me to be kind," you snapped. Draco stared at you for a moment, thinking.

"Fine, I'll help you cover up that you're going to the ball with a blood traitor," he mocked.

"Whatever, I don't want to argue with you about this anymore. Just owl your parents and say you're going with me, and I'll do the same," you said. Malfoy nodded his head before you turned away to go back to your dorm.

Sitting on your bed, you got out your parchment and quill and began a letter to your mother.

Dear mum,

    I miss you too. I wish we could see each other on Christmas Day, but I guess it is a tradition for the ball to be held on that date. I don't exactly have a line of boys wanting to go with me, but there is one. Draco asked me about a week ago. I've said yes, of course. I am sure that your judgment for a gown will be just fine, just please nothing too expensive. I know that can be hard for you, as you love to spend galleons. I also know how much you appreciate receiving pictures, so I'll be sure to take some of Draco and me.