𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑓𝑜𝑢𝑟𝑡𝑒𝑒𝑛

It had been a few days since the first task of the Triwizard Tournament. You had meant to talk to Harry and Cedric but couldn't seem to find the time with the number of assignments that were being dished out each day. You sat by the fire in the Slytherin common room reading over the same paragraph in your potions textbook over and over again. You had thought that your grades were going well so far, as it was only coming to the end of November. However, Snape had been giving you unusual marks on your last assignments. You heard a noise coming from the direction of the entrance and turned your focus from the textbook. Draco strutted over to you with a black envelope in his hand.

"I went to the owlery and saw this for you. Toby must've forgotten to deliver it this morning," Malfoy said as he set down the letter beside you and plopped onto the couch.

     You turned over the envelope to see familiar handwriting in silver ink. Your father. It had been months since you had spoken with him, and in no way had you missed his harsh tone and cold stare. You gulped as you looked to Draco, who then raised an eyebrow.

"It's from my father," you told him bluntly. Draco shifted his gaze to the letter in your hands.

"Well, just go on and open it. Maybe it's an apology. Besides, he can't do much from a letter," Draco said optimistically. You then peeled up the wax seal and slowly pulled the parchment out of the envelope.

(Y/N),

      The house is exceedingly quiet without you. At times it is enjoyable. However, I do not appreciate having to tolerate your mother's constant whining about how much she misses you. If you recall, I mentioned to you at King's Cross that you are to get nothing but high marks this school year. I was disappointed to have received a letter from the reputable Professor Snape on your worsened performance. It is embarrassing to have a Viper that does not fulfill our reputation. If you cannot advance in school, then I will simply revoke you of your privileges.

     Although this year is the Triwizard Tournament, it is no excuse for you to allow your grades to slip. Every descendant in history with the Viper name grows to be great and powerful wizards and witches, and I will not condone you to not do the same. If you disappoint me again, I cannot promise that I will be as composed.

Ezekiel Viper

     You threw the letter into the fire without taking a second look at it. Putting your focus back onto the Advanced Potions textbook that was in front of you was now fueled by the fear you associated with your father.

"Well, what did it say," Draco asked in an annoyed tone. Keeping your eyes fixed on the text, you plainly replied.

"Just the usual talking down he always provides me with. It was about the last exams Snape gave us. Snape must've sent him a letter personally about my bad marks," you said. You felt hot tears stream down your face and the salty taste that followed.

     You heard some shuffling coming from his direction, but you were too engulfed in the textbook to look. Draco had sat down across from you on the floor by the fire. He reached over to you and gently grasped your chin as he tilted your gaze to meet his. Still clutching your jaw, he began to rub circles onto your cheek with his thumb. You felt your breath getting a little faster as heat rushed into your face. Just as your nerves had calmed down, he removed his hand and reached into your lap to grab and close your textbook. You reached out to try and get it back, but he held it over his head, where he knew you couldn't reach. Once you had stopped trying to get it, he placed the book behind him.

"You have to give yourself a break once in a while. You know that right? If you push yourself any harder than I know you already do, you're going to crash. No one, not even your own father, can tell you what to do with your life," Draco said calmly. You looked at him for a couple of seconds before wearily responding.