41. struggles and surprises

"i know we weren't perfect but i've never felt this way for no one," nini sung quietly as she played the keys "and i just can't imagine how you could be so okay now that i'm gone

"i know we weren't perfect but i've never felt this way for no one," nini sung quietly as she played the keys "and i just can't imagine how you could be so okay now that i'm gone."

she stops playing and takes her notebook before writing it down, letting out a heavy breath as she put it back down and rested her hands on the keys, her heart still as heavy as stone.

nini hummed under her breath as she continued until she stopped and held a chord "cause you said forever now i drive alone past your street."

just then, she heard the doorbell ring and knitted her eyebrows together in confusion, slowly getting up from her seat before making her way out of her room and towards the front door.

when she opened it however, her heart stopped and her mouth parted when she saw the curly-haired boy standing there with his hands in his coat pockets, nervously looking at her.

the two stood there looking at each other in silence; neither one of them wanting to break it or say the wrong thing.

"h-hi." he breathes

nini swallowed and folded her arms, looking away from him "hi."

ricky fiddles with his fingers and looks at her "c-can i-come in?"

nini felt her heart pounding against her rib cage and she slowly opened the door wider for him to walk through, and he did. the two of them heading towards the kitchen - well, more like ricky following her as she gets a glass of water and sits down at the counter and he stays standing

"i-i just-wanted to come and see-how you're doing." he mumbles

nini takes a sip of her cup and sets it back down, shaking her head with a scoff once she swallows it down "seriously?"

ricky sighs "i don't know what you want me to say neens-"

"it's not about what i want to say, what do you want to say to me that's so important it had to mess with your full week of not speaking to me?" she questions, more angry than hurt now.

ricky swallowed and clenched his jaw "i-i don't know."

nini looked right at him and felt all of her hurtful and pained emotions resurface "then why are you even here?"

he took a deep breath and nini scoffed once again, shaking her head as she started making her way towards the kitchen door to leave him and enter the living room before she froze in her spot when she heard what he said next.

"i love you."