Awkward Moments

Lucas left a while ago, I sat at my desk just thinking. After a few minutes, I walked back down stairs, and found dad fast asleep in front of the t.v. I shook my head and covered him up.

I then went into the kitchen and pulled out a bottle of water. "Hi sweetie" dad said walking in. "I thought you were asleep ?" I asked. "Just got up" he said. "So, how are you doing ?" He asked me also pulling out a water bottle.

"I'm doing good" I told him. "Oh are you still drawing ?" Dad asked seeing my art pad out. He grabbed it and began flipping through the pages. He stared at the pages, his face had a lot of expressions.

"What are you drawing now, these don't look like your regular basic drawings ?" He asked, by eyeing my drawings then back to me. "Well..." I started to say. "Who's this guy ?" he asked me, showing me the page.

"A friend who you wouldn't know and like " I said. "I thought you don't have any friends, besides that girl" dad asked me. "I... met another person, but I really would like you to maybe meet him" I said.

"Why wouldn't I like him ?" He asked. "Well... he's really different from everyone else" I told him. "Different ? Different in how ?" He asked. "It's kinda hard to tell you, you wouldn't believe me anyway" I told him.

"I would believe in you no matter what" he said. "Well... that guy is a.... vampire" I told dad straight out. Dad stared at me for some time. "Yeah no... honestly vampires aren't real" he said setting down the sketch pad.

"They are real dad !" I explained. "Zoey, vampires aren't the real, they are made up for stories" he told me. "He's real as ever " I said as I picked up the book. "Zoey, I'm sorry to disagree on this" he said walking around the corner of the island in the middle of the kitchen.

Dad didn't want to get into the argument with me, I wasn't done with him. "Dad please !" I said. He kept walking off, but I followed. I followed him through the living room and back into the kitchen.

"Zoey stop ! Vampires are not real, end of story " he said turning to me. I wanted to prove to him that vampires were real. Dad was bending down doing something, I was quite mad, I wished Lucas would show up and show him that I was right.

I turned around and began walking out of the kitchen. "Hey you !" I looked up and right there was Lucas. I hugged him but then grabbed him by the hand and walked back into the kitchen. "Dad !" I said. "Zoey enough about this nonsense !" He said and turned in my direction.

He stopped and stared at us. "Umm.... now who is this ?" He asked me. "Dad, this is Lucas " I told him. "Dad, tell Lucas what you don't believe in" I told him. Dad just stared at Lucas. "Lucas I tried to tell my dad about you and that your a vampire but he doesn't want to believe, he says they're not real " I told him.

"Would you please tell my daughter they are not real, I know for a fact that you are not a vampire as my daughter says, your just a normal regular guy" Dad explained. Lucas shifted his standing, but he then grabbed an orange and tossed it in the air continuously.

Dad waited for him to tell me all that. Lucas shifted his body again, still tossing the orange. "Well tell her " dad said waiting. "How can I tell her that when I'm a vampire, when she is right ?" Lucas asked him.

Dad scratched his head looking confused. "I bet your on this idea of hers and trying to get me all wrong, well believe me sonny it will take proof to make me believe it " dad said. "Would you like me to prove it to you ?" Lucas asked my dad.

"I think that would be just fine to do so" dad said then had crossed his arms. That's when he starts to get more upset, his arms crisscrossing was a bad sign. The orange dropped into his hand, he began to raise it up to his mouth.

He smiled first, then but into it. The orange looked to be drained.

It was, he sucked out the juice until there was nothing left. He stopped and showed dad. "So, what am I supposed to do with this ?" He asked him. "Look at the bit marks, and tell me about them !" Lucas explained.

Dad looked, only two tiny punctures in the orange where there. "How did you do that? There's nothing but two bite marks and nothing else ?" He asked really confused. "Show him" I said. Lucas revealed his teeth.

Dad stumbled backwards in disbelief. "Are those your teeth ?" dad asked shocked. "Yes they are" Lucas said. Dad stared away at the two pointed teeth. "Can I touch them ?" he asked. "No" Lucas said. "So you are a... vampire" Dad said. "Yes I'm a vampire" Lucas told him.

"Are you here to kill us ?" dad asked. "Dad, no ! Lucas is a vegetarian" I told him. "You never know" dad said. "Dad, Lucas and his friends don't eat people" I told him. "Whoa... shut the front door and back up a bit.... there are others like him ?" dad asked surprised.

"Yes, why are you doing the twenty questions dad ?" I asked him. "I'm getting to know him" he said. "Oh okay" I said. "So Lucas... where are you from ?" he asked him. "Rome, Italy" Lucas said. "Hmm okay" dad said.

Dad asked him so many questions that were hard that I couldn't answer, but Lucas did. Then there was the silence between us. "Well glad you two met, we got to be going" I told dad. I quickly grabbed Lucas by the arm and dragged him out of the kitchen.

I dragging him along til we got outside. Lucas turned towards me, "he seems nice"Lucas said. "Are you nuts Lucas, that was a disaster !" I nearly yelled. "Hey, it's alright" he said as his cold hand massaged my arm. "Are you sure ?" I asked him. "Yes, don't worry about it" Lucas said.