Injuries

I saw mom in the fridge, dad was at the head of the table behind his newspaper, most likely drinking his coffee also. Of course, there was my three brothers fighting over ketchup. Seriously ? I walked to the table and sat down.

Mom turned, "morning hun" she said. "Morninig" I said. She set down a plate in front of me. Pancakes with a smile. One of her signatures, either pancakes with smiles or eggs as eyes and bacon as a smile.

I loved her.

Just wished there was no divorce, I know they truely loved each other, the way dad makes her smile and laugh. I think they didn't realize how much they would miss each other. "Mom" I said. "Yes dear ?" she asked. "Why exactly are you and dad divorcing ?" I asked.

That made Dad lower his paper and they glanced at each other then at me. Even my brothers stopped what ever they were doing. "Um..." mom said trying to think. "Boys are you done ?" dad asked them. They scrambled to get out.

Dad had set the paper down, here comes the talk. "Well... we need space from each other" he told me. "Yes, we just need some time, and space" Mom said. "But divorcing is when someone moves out and usually never returns" I told them.

"Yes, there's that, but" Mom said. "There's no buts mom, your divorcing and it's hard, don't you ever think of us ? How were going to struggle with this ? You're making it hard on us most, mainly me. I'm having issues on life already" I yelled then stormed out of the kitchen and ran to my room.

I slammed my door and broke down crying on my bed.

Now I really wanted to run away, from all of this... catastrophe.

Nearly an hour later, I think it must have been around noon time. I uncovered myself and sat up. My face still felt warm from crying. I heard a loud pounding outside. I walked over to my window and stared down below. Dad was working on something.

So, I then decided to get dressed, jeans and a shirt that said love. I ran down the stairs and went outside. I came up behind dad. "Hi" I said. "Hum, oh hi Zoey" he said noticing me. "You okay now ?" he asked.

"Yeah, just needed some time" I told him. "What are you doing ?" I asked him. "I'm trying to keep this bird house to stay on this post, I heard the boys were having a football game and it fell" dad told me. "Mm...that sounds like them" I said.

"Need help ?" I asked. "Sure I could use the help" he said. "Here hold these" he said handing me them. "These are huge nails, don't you think ?" I asked. "Yes they are, five inches" he told me. "Wow" I said amused. "Oh I forgot the hammer" dad said looking for it.

"Stay here and just wait okay ?" he said then asked me. "Okay" I said then watched him leave. I waited, but then noticed something laying against the post. "Uh dad" I said not as loud so he could hear.

I picked up the hammer, but then turned back to the post, I thought of something. Maybe I could finish it so he didn't have to do it. I picked up a nail, I got it ready to hit it. But missed, I got the hammer ready, I lifted it up into the air, but never realized something.

I slammbed the hammer down. I began screaming, dad most likely heard me, since he came running so fast over. I was still screaming, "What happened ?" he asked worried. I pulled up my hand showing him, tears were streaming down my face.

A nail went through my hand.

"Oh shi....talking mushrooms !" dad said covering his his curse word. He grabbed my arm and began walking a fast pace. We entered the house, it was quiet. He ran over to the sink, he pulled me next to him and ran the water, "ouch " I said.

He washed off the blood, after he wrapped it up with a dish towel. "Won't mom be mad about the towel ?" I asked. "She'll be okay about it, now come on" he said. "Where ?" I asked turning around. "The hospital" he said grabbing the truck keys.

I didn't want to go, "Zoey, do you want to bleed out, and get an infected hand from the nail ?" dad walked back to me. "No" I said saddly. "Alright then, let's go !" he said walking towards the screen door. I followed him to his truck.

We left.

Getting to the hospital, a nurse only took one look at us and noticed the bloody towel. "Oh dear, what happened to you ?" she asked me. "I was trying to fix something for my dad, and it's obvious that I missed and got my hand instead" I told her.

"What did you do to your hand ?" she asked. I unwrapped the towel and showed her. "Good lord child !" she exclaimed. She quickly picked up her phone and called a doctor.