Fighting back

Over the next few days, Lucas brought me back to his campsite, and I got to talk again with his friends. I missed talking to them. About later on, I was walking back home alone.

The wind was blowing softly through my hair, it was breezy out. I glanced over, I could see my house coming into view. The air smelled fresh, I could smell the fragrance of our lavender flowers.

Suddenly a hand covered my face and began forcing me backwards, I stumbled and slammed into a tree. I grabbed the bark of the tree and tried to yank myself up.

I turned to see the wrong person standing there. "You.... what are you doing here ?" I asked. "Your going to take me to your little vampire friends now " he demanded. He grabbed my wrist with a tight grip.

I knew Van Helsing was up to no good. He looked like he was going to blow up. He dragged me along. "Alright girl, I know you know where they are... find them !" He explained.

He shoved me forward, I nearly fell but caught my balance. I stood there staring at him, "fine, we'll let them come to you ". Suddenly he grabbed my wrist and began walking a fast pace in a different direction.

Finally he stopped, but then pulled out a gun from his trench coat. He pushed me down to the ground. Dirt and leaves stuck to my clothes and hair.

I was afraid to talk to him.

I kept my mouth shut.

What was he going to do ? I wondered.

"Stop toying with me Zoey..... where's Lucas and the others ?" He asked. I didn't dare to answer. His anger was fuming over like boiling water. "I don't know where they are " I said.

He grabbed my hair and pulled me next to him. "Ouch that's my hair ! " I told him. I felt a sharp scrape across my skin. I felt a tug of my hair, I glanced over at him, he was smirking.

My lips were dry that I had to lick them. I sighed, finally he let go. I glanced down at my arm, blood was dripping down. I put pressure on it, but it's scent would attract attention.

I turned back and Van Helsing was gone. This was my chance to get away. But then I began hearing the snap of twigs. I didn't see anything, my heart beat began beating fast and faster.

I kept turning to see if anything was there. I saw nothing. Fear paralyzed her like a statue. Frozen in place, she couldn't bare to turn and look some more. I glanced over my shoulder and thought I saw something.

But once I looked, it was only a rabbit. I took a deep breathe and let it out, since I was holding it in for a long time. I shook my head to clear it, I turned to the left but then I was knocked down so fast.

My head hit the ground hard.

I felt a bit dizzy. I stood up quickly, bad decision. I felt even more dizzier. My balance was off, everything was really moving fast. Tree's were swaying left and right, everything was spinning.

I felt like my head was going to explode from all the spinning. I placed my hands on my head to stop all the motion. I wanted to scream, I dropped onto my knees, my hair fell in front of my face covering it.

It suddenly dawned on me that all around me become silent. Dead silence. I've never heard it this silent ever in the forest. Not a sound for miles. I slowly raised my head up, right in my view was Lucas. " Lucas ! "

I got up and raced over and flung myself into his arms. I wrapped my arms around him, not letting go. "Where you been ?" I asked him. " Zoey... run and don't turn back" he said in his perfect calming voice.

"But..." I chocked out. He gave me a shot of a glance, his facial expression was serious. I ran off. I reached my house, I had been panting for some time, I really wanted to know what Lucas was doing, suddenly I found myself walking back towards the trees.

I heard voices shouting, the the sounds of fighting. I glanced around a tree, and saw Helsing and Lucas fighting. I could see Helsing was trying hard to fight back. Suddenly Helsing pulled out a wooden stick, my heart literally stopped.

Images flooded my mind, without thinking I raced over and jumped on Helsing. I hit him with my fists, "stop, stop !" I yelled. Helsing had his hands wrapped around Lucas's neck.

He could of have been easily broken his neck in a snap. I still was beating Helsing with my fists. He ignored me. I couldn't stand the torture, one thing crossed my mind, I suddenly realized that I bit him in the shoulder.

That got his attention. Helsing swung his arm around and grabbed my arm, pulled me aside and with one hard shove I fell back and hit the ground. I felt a rock as my head hit it. My eyesight was really bad, blurry.

All I could remember was Lucas and Helsing. I soon blacked out. I couldn't remember anything. The light was fading, creating new shadows and dark patches around me.

Eyes glimmered from tree branches. The wind wailed between distorted trunks, carrying the sickly stink of wood rot. I lifted my face, letting the light and shadow dance across my skin.

I stood up and I inhaled in the pine smell. The trees stood utterly still, statues in a living museum where no leaf dared to fall.

I heard everything around me the branches creaking, squirrels chattering, leaves rustling, wind whistling around trunks, disturbing the leaves, birds singing.

The sounds of rustling of animals rooting in underbrush, scrabbling of lizards on tree bark, limbs crashing to the ground, still, quiet, crackling underfoot, breaking branches.

The clattering of leaves, soughing wind, groaning trees, squawking birds, hostile screeches from animals. It was a dangerous forest to be in. The rattling wind swimming though my hair, directed me over my shoulder.

With a turn of my head, I felt the scene change, as if someone had set wallpaper to scenery...it was a forest as clear as day.

But one thing disturbed this scene, that made it look more real yet so inviting. The embedded and untouched trail running down the center of this alluring forest.

But as soon as the sun hit ground, and the moon hit sky...the forest wasn't as pleasant during night. The fog seen afar, brought a vision of cataracts to your eyes.

Every sound made back and forth made you turn and rotate till you were driven with insanity. The forest was disturbingly beautiful and inviting in day, yet disturbingly horrid and repelling during night.

Night was beginning to fall. The sun had completed its tour for the day, and had now been replaced by myriad stars. A low, waning gibbous moon hovered tenuously in the twilight firmament, bestowing a very dim light upon the land.

It'll was a cool, windy night; the swaying of trees and rustling of leaves could be heard but not seen, as the encompassing darkness had blotted out all but the faintest light.

Briefly, a dark, wispy cloud eclipsed the crescent moon. For a few shadowy moments, it looked like there was a halo around the cloud, a dull aura of lunar luminescence.

The moon was shining bright tonight.