•preston garvey x female reader•

minor tw: emetophobia

Grease was sticking to my skin in the hot, stuffy summer air. The Minuteman and I had just completed clearing out the old 'Castle,' and I had done it as their new general. Knowing that I had the honor of leading this prestigious organization filled my heart with glee.

Given, it was an awfully, awfully, slow start.

I had a couple of stragglers and good ol' Preston Garvey to my name, but, quite frankly, I didn't want it any other way. I heard the chatter of a couple of the Minutemen while they were sweeping up the left over bile from the Mirelurk Queen.

All day, I had been touching up the old generator that was left out to rot. After all, it's not like I could just will a brand new generator out of the sky.

I groaned, rather loudly, and flopped backwards. My tools were scattered around me, pressing down the pale grass. The wind whistled in my ear whilst the soft water lapped against the shore. My whole body ached, but nonetheless, I was still content.

"Booze!" a woman's voice resounded throughout the building. Uplifted cheers responded to the words, and I could hear people's cleaning utensils clatter to the ground.

"Clean now, alcohol later," a firm but gentle voice warned. Ah, it was Preston. Of course. He always had a decent head on his shoulders. He knew how to lead his men into accomplishing great things, but I think that his heart was just too golden to survive the Commonwealth. Plus, the incident in Quincy shook him up too.

I pulled myself back up, fixating my mind on the task at hand. I gripped the wrench firmly, using it to tighten the loosened bolts. My hands were shaking from the strikingly cold metal paired with my exhaustion.

"A break, General?"

I turned, my eyes half lidded. "Ah, Preston," I smiled, wringing my wrists, "What brings you to my hellhole?"

His deep laugh mixed with the cold breeze of the Commonwealth. I couldn't help the tired grin that spread across my cheeks. "I just came to see how you were doing out here. After all, you banished us subordinates to vomit cleanup."

"I am the man of this Minuteman relationship," I teased, "I do the fixin', and my little women out there take care of the housework, vomit and all."

Preston blew out air from his nose and sat down next to me. His tattered jacket slowly rolled off his shoulders, exposing the mildly sweat-stained t-shirt he wore underneath it. "It's miserably hot today, isn't it General?"

"Mhm," I agreed. I turned my neck to look over at him, cocking my head slightly. The wrench I was holding was now twirling around my fingers as I stated, "I've almost passed out from it. Plus, these damned bugs keep flying around."

"At least it's not raining."

"You always say that!"

He smiled, the corner of his hat slipping backwards. "It's true though, rain is worse."

"I guess so," I hummed, working on the generator again. Preston's dark eyes watched my work as I spent about ten minutes finishing up the last bits. He stood up, offering his hand to me. I gladly accepted, pulling my aching legs up. I smacked the side of the side of the generator, leaping into the air as I heard it rev up. It roared to life, lighting up the priorly darkened Castle.

"Let there be light!" I cheered, hopping around Garvey like a happy kid. His face flushed mildly and his body tensed up, his awkward stance making me giggle more. 

"G-General?" he chuckled, slinging his arm behind his head, "We should probably get back to our men, shouldn't we?" I slowed, sending an affirmative nod. His large hand pressed against my back, warm against my sore shoulder blade. He guided me forward for a bit before dropping his touch, leaving my skin burning.