•porter gage x female reader•

The last obstacle stood in front of Gage and I. One last accomplishment before Nuka-World was ours. "Boss?" Gage's weary voice sounded from behind me. I pivoted myself to face him, watching the timid raider's gaze size up the Fun House in front of us.

"What's the problem?" I inquired, his gaze snapping back down to meet my own. He rested the length of his gun behind his head, both hands wrapped around it to rest his head on.

"I don't trust this Oswald guy... we oughta watch our backs around here," he recommended.

I nodded slowly, turning my head back to look at the looming building behind us. "I know," I answered shortly, "I'm not going to let anything happen to us. We're too close to let it go to shit now."

He reaffirmed my statement with a smirk, letting the gun slide down his back and flinging it in front of himself again. "Let's head in then, boss," he suggested, waiting for me to take the first steps into the daunting structure.

I stepped forward with confidence, shoving open the tarnished white doors to the castle. We were instantly greeted with a gaggle of ferals in the lobby. "I'm gonna piss on your corpse!" Gage laughed, slamming one of the ghouls heads off with the end of his gun.

A devilish smile cracked on the corner of my mouth as I took out the bat Cito had gifted me. I slammed one of the painted ghouls to the ground, hearing it gargle in response. I stepped on its neck, snapping it off with the heel of my boot. I heard gunshots ring out in the desolate entrance as Gage leveled a few more enemies. Three of Oswald's decorated 'employees' snarled and lunged at me, their rotten fingers nearly nicking my arm. My upper lip curled up in disgust, and I took a couple steps back, winding up the bat. With the help of the jets on the side of the bat, my swing was enough to decapitate one of the ferals, and the other two staggered away from me.

"Duck!" Gage yelled, and I instantly complied, hearing the two bullets whizz by over the crown of my head. The two remaining ghouls fell to the floor, blood leaking from the open wounds in their faces.

Gage's dirtied hand was stuck in front of me, and I took it, pulling myself up from the carpeted floor. "Thanks," I breathed out, looking at Gage's exhilarated expression, "Though one of these times you're gonna take my head off."

"Hasn't happened yet," he quipped, letting go of my sweaty hand and slinging his gun in the holster across his back. I rolled my eyes, stepping towards to the first obstacle of the Fun House. We were faced with a room full of mirrors.

"What the fuck is this?" Gage barked, looking at the reflections that surrounded us. He seemed bristled by the fact that there were copies of us all around him.

I kept walking on, much to Gage's dismay. "They're called mirror mazes. They were supposed to be fun back before the war," I informed him, looking around the corners hesitantly.

"They're fucking scary is what they are," he hissed, staying close behind me. It was silent for a few moments as we meandered through the maze, listening to Oswalds occasional mockeries and taunts. "I mean, there could be anything in here," Gage rambled, his exposed eye frantically scanning around us.

"Gage... there's noth-"

A ghoul growled and lunged forwards from a corner, swatting the side of my face. I felt blood trickle down the side of my cheek. I kicked the ghoul square in the crotch, screaming out of terror. I heard Gage yelp from behind me as he cocked his gun and fired a few bullets through its  decayed chest.

"H-holy fuck," I stammered, flicking some of the blood off of my face.

"Did it get you?" Gage's worrisome voice asked, turning me to face him. He scoffed once he saw my face and reached his fingers up to dust the side of my face. My breathing hitched as his cold touch connected with me, but it was gone as soon as it came. He jerked his hand away from me, rummaging in his backpack. He dropped a bandage into my open palm, shoving both of his hands into his pockets in an almost defensive manner. He watched me carefully as I fumbled with the wrapping, finally yanking it off with my teeth. I plastered the sticky part of it to my face, feeling Lizzie's pre-equipped medicines burn my open wound.