Role Swap: Siren Kat + Human Jimin

Everything is in Jimin's point of view!

THE CAPTURE

The ocean was relentless when the storm reared its head. Winds stronger than we ever fought slammed against the sails. Rain pounded onto the deck in sheets. Black clouds cast an endless shadow over the ship and the surrounding sea while the water rammed into us. Thunder roared just before the inhuman shrieks sliced the air.

Grunting, I shielded my ears from the sound. A sudden lurch of the ship sent me crashing to the floor, and the skin of my forearm tore open from the impact. Peering through the sheets of rain, I saw my blood wash into the water coating the deck.

"HEAVE TO!" Yoongi bellowed above the shrieking.

Rushing back to my feet, I stumbled toward the bow until reaching a loose rope. The crew shouted behind me as they worked at the sails.

"The sirens are keeping up!" Jungkook yelled from my right.

After fastening the rope, I came up next to him, leaning over the railing like he did. My eyes widened at the sight of them soaring through the ocean. There were dozens, and they all stood apart from each other. Their tails were all different hues, shapes, and sizes, shining through the water like reflective metal. Their bare backs were of different builds and skin tones, their hair of different length.

I couldn't tear my gaze away, too mesmerized by the reality that such creatures existed. But then as the ship fought the winds and slowed in the water, the sirens slowed too. I watched in horror at the claws that dug into the wood of the ship and the gleaming eyes that locked in on me. When they began to scale up the side of the vessel, I turned to the captain.

"They're climbing! Orders, Cap'n!"

"Just hurry up and shoot them!" Yoongi yelled from the helm, continuing to navigate the waves. His eyes caught mine and a certain shine glinted in them. "And see if you can catch one."

Catch one? What for?

But never one to question the captain, I ran to join the rest of the crew. Seokjin handed a rifle to me while Namjoon handed one to Jungkook. We split up, three of us taking starboard while the other three took port. I leaned over the railing with Hoseok and Namjoon, aiming the barrel down at the nearest creature. The sky had darkened enough that only the last bit of blue light caught the sirens' scales and reflected in their irises. I counted five clawing their way up.

While the other rifles went off, my fingers refused to budge. Even seeing how animalistic they were and the threat they posed to us, I struggled to pull the trigger.

Are the legends true? Were they once human?

As the others continued to shoot, two of them were hit, and they screeched through widened jaws as they plummeted back into the sea. I looked away, but just as I did, there was a thump at the stern.

"Jimin, get up here!" the captain roared.

I did as he said, rushing up the stairs and onto the upper deck. My feet stumbled to a halt at the sight of the feminine siren lying on the floor, her arms latching into the wood railing behind her. Blood dripped from her taloned fingers, waves of damp silver hair fell over her naked chest, and her turquoise tail curled toward herself defensively.

"Jimin!" Yoongi called above the sound of the storm, and I turned just in time to catch the net he tossed. He resumed his position at the wheel. "Trap it, now."

I looked from the net in my hands up to the siren ahead of me. Her gaze seized mine, and I held the contact while stepping forward. As I came closer, her lips pulled back in a sneer full of fangs. With a hiss sharper than my cutlass, she swiped her tail out and nearly knocked me to the ground. I leapt forward and threw the net over her, wrestling against her thrashing body.