40. Diamonds

⊰ FORTY ⊱

⊰ FORTY ⊱

DIAMONDS

"Anna?"

My sister's eyes were wide, her mouth parted as she stared at me. I could see the shock slowly fade away, her expression morphing into one of confusion and sadness. A glimmer of hope rose up in me at the absence of anger on her face.

Maybe I do have a chance at making amends.

"What are you doing here? How did you find us?" she asked hoarsely, opening the door further so she could set her eyes on everyone behind me. "And who are they?"

"They're my friends," I opted not to use the word 'family'. Stepping closer, I gained her attention back, "Anna, I've been trying to find you for years. Can we please talk?" I asked calmly, my smooth voice a contrast to the turmoil that was raging inside of me.

Frowning with uncertainty, she glanced once again at the others. Her eyes slowly crawled to me, and the moment her jaw clenched I knew she was remembering the awful night when we had last spoken.

"You shouldn't have come. It's best for her if you leave. We want nothing to do with you," she said coldly, her words icy daggers that impaled my chest mercilessly.

"Her? You mean Mom?" I questioned, leaning to get a look past the door and into the house. Anna moved to block my view, placing her hand against my shoulder to stop me.

"She's not well, Kat. You'll only cause her more stress. Just go," my sister said forcefully, an echo of the harsh farewell that persistently haunted me.

"Anna, please," I grabbed her hands as I begged, voice finally breaking, "Let me see her. I don't need long."

But she refused to budge.

"Go. Away. I won't say it again," she hissed, swiftly turning to shut the door behind her.

Frozen, I stood still and tried to process what had just happened. A part of me had already prepared for this outcome. I knew what I did was terrible and I didn't blame them for wanting me out of their lives completely. Still, I had hoped that they would somehow find it in them to give me a second chance.

Breathing was difficult as the reality that my sister had just turned me away after not seeing me for four years set in. I continued to stare at the closed door, knowing it represented my missed shot at some kind of redemption.

Eight pairs of eyes stared at my back - I could feel them on me, all full of pity. I couldn't bare to see those sympathetic looks, so without facing them I turned and started heading back the same way we came, ready to return to the ship where I could hide in my room.

Footsteps followed me at a distance, and for a while none of them found the courage it took to speak to me. I was thankful, but my relief was short lived as Jungkook's voice was suddenly right behind me, his tone soft and sweet as always.