41. Humanity

⊰ FORTY ONE ⊱

⊰ FORTY ONE ⊱

HUMANITY

"Holy shit," I gaped, staring at Jimin's siren form in disbelief and fear. "Holy shit. Holy shit. Holy shit, Jimin!" I yelled in frustration as a million thoughts ran through my head.

Why the hell did he go in the water? How could he possibly decide to become siren again after working so hard to become human? Is he going to lose all of the feelings he had finally started to gain? Would it be back to square one? And how on earth am I supposed to try to fix this?

Looking at him warily, I took in his face, hoping that the same Jimin I'd gotten to know still remained.

My gaze moved from the pointed fluke of his tail, over the length of glimmering obsidian, up to where the scales melded seamlessly into the skin just beneath his hips. He was propping himself up on his elbows, displaying his naked chest. His eyes were wild with adrenaline and desperation, and somehow I knew from the emotion pooling in his orbs that he was still there - at least for a few more moments.

"Katherine, I need you to be ready. I can't hold off for long," he said, still sounding like himself save for that smooth, magnetic pull that started weaving into his voice.

"Ready for what?" I stepped forward, careful not to get too close. I didn't know if he would be able to control himself.

Jimin ignored me, instead letting out a strangled breath before squeezing his eyes shut. He hissed and I realized that his claws were pulling at some of the scales on his thigh. Wincing at the same time that he groaned in pain, I watched as a few scales tore apart from his skin where they left a deep gash, blood immediately seeping into the water that continued to pulse around us.

"Take these," he ordered, holding the black diamonds out to me. Bewildered, I looked at him like he was insane.

"What the fuck am I supposed to do with your stupid ass fish scales?!" I bellowed.

"We're wasting time! It's to help your mother, so just take them!" he yelled as he grew impatient, his tone growing deeper. I sighed exasperatedly before stepping just close enough to grab them, placing them in my pocket.

"Now what do we do? You can just take my blood and get your legs back again, right?" I asked hopefully, though I feared it wouldn't be that simple.

"Yes, but-" Jimin stopped as another wave of pain seemed to hit him, causing him to let out a growl. He hunched over, fisting his hands into his hair as he gasped for air, "I- I can feel it eating away at me...can't keep fighting it off. I don't- don't want to risk hurting you," he looked up at me, eyes filled with despair which he tried to mask behind his quick words, "Go, take those back to the house and show Dawon, she'll know what to do. You have to hurry."

"I'm not leaving you here. Let me help you first," I insisted, taking a step near him. He bared his teeth as another growl vibrated from within his chest.