47. Beginning

A/N: I highly recommend listening to the music attached at the top while you read this chapter ♡

⊰FORTY SEVEN ⊱

BEGINNING

I stared down at my exposed hip with wide eyes, unstable breaths escaping my lips. The razor-sharp scales shimmered up at me almost mockingly, laughing at the happy ending that was dwindling out of my reach with each second.

"Damn it!" Jimin shouted, pounding his fist against the wall. I jumped at the sudden noise, stepping back as he began pacing.

"Jimin... what do we do?" I asked in a whisper as my voice broke. He looked up at me with eyes full of furious tears.

"We only have a few hours before you shift completely," he said as he frowned. "I-I need to go find Namjoon. We were getting close. We can find something, I know it." He seemed to be trying to convince himself more than he was trying to convince me.

"If I only have hours left, why can I still feel? I just told you I loved you... How am I able to do that when I'm so close to being a siren?" I asked, still harboring a small beacon of hope. If I could still feel, maybe we had more time than Jimin thought.

"If you're transforming slowly like this, emotions are the last thing to go. The biggest part of being human is being able to feel passion, so that's what takes the longest for the curse to steal away."

If I hadn't been panicking internally, I would have thought it was sort of beautiful that passion and love were the most resilient parts of humanity. I was thankful that I was able to tell Jimin I loved him before the curse stole those feelings away from me.

As I looked up at him, I noticed the crimson blood that was still staining his bottom lip. "I'm sorry, Jimin. I didn't mean to-"

"I know you didn't. It's just part of those instincts coming out," he said, meeting my eyes with his own somber gaze. "Why do you think I tried to keep you and Yoongi apart for so long?"

I stared at him as the realization struck me. "You told me we could both get hurt if I was with him..." I trailed off, and Jimin finished for me.

"I knew that if you kissed him, it was possible for your instincts to kick in and at some point, you could have hurt him. And awakening those instincts would have also sped up the process of the curse," he explained.

"So you really were trying to look out for me... I always kind of thought you were just jealous."

"I did hate seeing you two together, but I was only trying to buy you more time by keeping you away from him."

Jimin really had been trying to protect me, even from when I first questioned if he was trustworthy. The moment he gained an ounce of humanity back, he had been watching out for me without me even realizing.