04. The Captain's Name

⊰ F O U R ⊱

⊰ F O U R ⊱

THE CAPTAIN'S NAME

"I'm Jimin."

His voice was sweet and magnetic like a carefully crafted song. It caught me off guard and I struggled to find words.

"Are you going to tell me your name?" he asked, raising a perfectly arched brow.

I finally found my voice. "I'm Katherine, but everyone calls me Kat."

His eyes narrowed. "Hmm, I like Katherine better," he stated firmly, almost like he expected me to protest. Instead, I shrugged.

"You can call me that if you want."

His eyes danced. "Katherine," my name left his lips again, and I still had a hard time understanding how silky his voice was, like nothing I'd ever heard before.

"Well, if I was wrong about the sea water, I guess there's no reason for me to stay here," I said, reminding myself that I couldn't let my guard down around him too much. It didn't seem like he had any intention of harming me, but everything I'd ever heard about sirens suggested that they were dangerously deceptive.

Turning on my heel, I began walking toward the cell door. My hand reached out to open it, only to be blocked by his onyx tail.

"Seriously? Let me out," I demanded as I spun around to face him. That mischievous smirk was back.

"Not until you tell me what you're planning to do with me."

I sighed. "I don't know."

"Then I guess you're staying right here." His feline eyes glinted in amusement.

"I really don't know. Yoongi told me he was going to figure out what to do with you by tomorrow morning," I said.

His brows pulled together in a frown."Who is Yoongi?"

"He's the captain of this ship."

He nodded in understanding, watching me carefully like always. He seemed as intrigued with me as I was with him.

"Will you let me go now?" I asked, gesturing to the cell door.

He moved his tail out my way and I wasted no time in stepping out of the cell, closing the door behind me and locking it. I resisted the urge to look back at him as I walked out of the room. Taehyung was waiting on the other side of the door, leaning against the wall with his hands in his pockets.

"Glad to see he didn't eat you," he mumbled as he pushed off the wall so he could walk with me.

I scoffed at his comment. "He didn't try anything. He barely moved at all. I doubt he plans to eat anyone." I found myself being oddly defensive of Jimin.