37. Sacrifice

⊰THIRTY SEVEN ⊱

⊰THIRTY SEVEN ⊱

SACRIFICE

How had I not seen it before? How had he managed to trick me into believing that she was dead? And why did he pursue me and claim to have feelings for me when in his heart he was longing for her all this time?

My mind was bombarded with a swarm of questions but I had no time to address them as things continued to unfold before me.

"You're really here," Yoongi breathed out, staring at the red-tailed female in awe.

"Dawon?" Hoseok's voice cracked with thick emotion as he looked down at her in utter shock. She snapped her head towards him, a wide and devilish grin stretching across her lips while her eyes narrowed into slits.

"Hobi, my sweet brother. I've missed you," her tone was alluring and fantastical, like the sound of wind chimes tinkling in the breeze. It was deceptively pleasing and gentle - a veil that masked the dark, insidious nature within.

Hoseok faltered, struggling to find words. He continued to stare at her with watery eyes, a cross of both relief and devastation flooding his face. Then suddenly there was a shift as a bolt of anger struck across his features. I watched as his fingers grazed the hilt of his sword, a feeling of dread washing over me.

"Hoseok-"

But it was too late - he was already unsheathing his sword in one swift motion. I expected him to point it at Yoongi for not telling him that his sister was alive, but it seemed he hadn't realized that yet as he lunged for Jimin instead, pinning him against the railing and holding the sharp edge of the blade right beneath his chin. Jimin automatically put his hands up, his adam's apple bobbing as he gulped, obviously startled by Hoseok's sudden aggression.

"Your kind is responsible for this. You cursed her," he spat angrily, "Fix it now, or I'll throw you back in the water," Hoseok threatened, his teeth bared in fury.

"I can't help her," Jimin said carefully, his back arching over the edge of the ship.

"You were able to use Kat to start turning human. Can't we let Dawon take blood from one of us so she can turn human like you, without anyone else being cursed?" Yoongi asked urgently, his eyes wild with desperation.

"Technically yes, but how do you think you're going to do that? She won't come into this ship willingly. She's smart, and all she wants is to escape her curse. She doesn't care who she has to hurt to get what she wants. Even if we did manage to get her up here, she would try to drink every last drop of blood she could to become fully human right away," Jimin explained.

"Then why didn't you do that when we caught you?" Hoseok asked suspiciously, pressing his blade even further under Jimin's chin, nearly piercing the skin.

"You guys were lucky with me. Since I knew you would just kill me if I completely drained Katherine, I played it smart and made the deal with you guys. But Dawon knows none of you will kill her so nothing would stop her from draining whoever she needs to."