02. Capture

⊰ T W O ⊱

CAPTURE

I was clueless as to why Yoongi was so determined to catch a siren, but I wasn't going to question him. The reward for bringing one in would likely be higher than what we could get from all the stolen goods we were planning to sell. It just seemed like there was something more than greed in his eyes when he commanded us to get the net ready.

Jungkook and I swiftly made our way to the cargo hold where Namjoon was still staring wide-eyed through the porthole.

"Namjoon, we need your help with the net. Let's go," I ordered, grabbing his hand and dragging him along with me before he had a chance to respond.

All three of us rushed to the top deck at the stern of the boat where we made work of the tangled netting. We hardly ever made use of it as fishing wasn't on our list of priorities, so the net wasn't an impressive one. Luckily, we only needed one siren.

After a few minutes of struggle, we finally managed to prepare the net to be dropped. The three of us looked towards the middle of the ship where Jin, Hoseok, and Taehyung stood, aiming their rifles toward the shrieking creatures.

Before anyone could shoot, loud thuds came from the side of the ship. Leaning over the edge, I gasped. Several of the beasts were using their claws to latch onto the side of the boat, their irises shining with an animalistic gleam. As one of them spotted me, it hissed and bared its blade-like teeth at me.

Not a second passed before Hoseok's rifle went off, his shot entering the shoulder of the very siren that had hissed at me, causing it to lose its grip and go flying back into the dark waters.

"Not yet, you fool!" Yoongi's voice bellowed. He stood at the helm, struggling with the wheel in an attempt to navigate through the storm. "Don't shoot until I say so! Kat, drop the net!"

I ran to the lever near me, pulling it and releasing the net into the depths below. Namjoon and Jungkook peered over the edge to make sure the net was properly positioned.

"It's ready, Cap!" Namjoon shouted.

"Boys, don't let those things scratch up my beautiful ship!" The captain yelled out his go-ahead and within seconds, the pirates were all shooting down the side of the boat.

I watched in a mix of horror and awe as the bullets hit their targets, bodies jolting as their golden skin was stained red. With blood-curdling screams, three of them crashed back into the water. I winced at the sight.

"Kat, get over here!" Namjoon yelled. I tore my gaze away from the bloody scene and stumbled to the rope where Jungkook and Namjoon stood. I joined them in holding on, waiting for the signal.

The sound of the rifles continued to pierce through the air, along with the ferocious wind and the relentless rain. Thunder was cracking every other minute, followed by a bolt of lightning. It was a struggle to keep my eyes open against the sheets of water that pounded down.

"We've got one! We caught the damn thing!" Jin shouted out.

Yoongi continued to stare ahead, fighting the violent waves as he tried to keep the ship steady. Without a word, he gestured for us to bring the net in.

The three of us immediately started tugging on the rope with all of our strength, and I was shocked at how heavy the creature was.

"Are you sure there's only one in the net?" I hollered at Jin as we continued heaving.

"Only one! Its tail must weigh a ton," Jin replied as he and the other two men approached us.

"What are you doing? Shouldn't you still be shooting at those monsters?" Jungkook asked with a grunt as he kept pulling on the rope. There was scarce progress being made.