42. Tell Me

⊰ FORTY TWO ⊱

⊰ FORTY TWO ⊱

TELL ME

Stepping into the bedroom, my heart immediately kicked into overdrive upon seeing my mother. She was laying in nearly the same position I'd last seen her in, only now she was awake - alert even - as she turned her head to face me.

It's working.

"You- Anna said you were here," she croaked, struggling to sit up. I rushed to her side instinctively, placing a hand on her shoulder to stop her from moving.

"Careful! You're weak, you have to take it easy," I said, trying to ease her back down but she resisted.

"No, no. Let me look at you," she ordered, reaching up to place her hands on my face. My eyes met hers directly for the first time, and I was shocked to see that she was crying. "My Katherine," she whispered.

Her words and the way she was looking at me sent a wave of relief over my whole being. My shoulders dropped as all the weight of my fear lifted away. Am I finally catching a break?

"Mom, I'm so sorry-"

"Ssshh, I'm just... I'm so happy to see you. I never thought I'd get to talk to you again," she cried, pulling me in to wrap her arms around my neck. I choked back my own tears as I hugged her.

"I thought you hated me," I whispered brokenly.

"I was angry for a long time, but losing you was the worst thing that ever happened to me. I never should have told you to leave," she said with regret, clinging to me like I was about to vanish again. "I thought I'd lost you forever. It hurt so much even just to hear your name."

"I messed up, Mom. I'm so sorry for what happened. For what I did," I apologized, though I knew nothing I could say would ever make up for that night.

"I know, I know," she replied soothingly. "I've had time to come to terms with what happened. I know it wasn't something you meant to do, and I'm sure it was hard for you, too."

"So you... forgive me?" I asked, still terrified of the answer. I was shocked that she wasn't furious to see me.

"Yes baby, I forgive you. I hope you can forgive me too, for sending you away instead of trying to help you deal with such a terrible thing. I'm sorry you were on your own for so long," she whispered.

"You're forgiven, even though you never needed it in the first place. And I wasn't alone," I said, pulling back and setting her against the headboard. She looked at me questioningly until I continued. "I met these... pirates. They took me in-"

"Pirates?!" Mother exclaimed, appalled. My eyes widened at her drastic change in demeanor.

"Yes. They're pirates, but they're good men," I said, only for her to object again.