Chapter 3

That's the orphanage, and then a song that I think explains the relationship between Mabel and Adonis 😛

•••

Adonis gaped.

He barely knew what mates were, now he was expected to introduce a whole new person on the subject?

"W-wha- I- she- you-...huh?" Adonis stutters, making sure he hear her properly.

"M-mates? D-do yo-you know the-them?" Mabel asked carefully, not wanting to make him feel dumb. Heck, she didn't even know what they are.

"Let's wait, uh for my dad who can maybe um explain more uh- thoroughly" Adonis nods, agreeing with himself.

"Th-thurly?" Mabel tilts her head at the new word.

"No baby, thoroughly, it means he can explain it more exclusively-uh- better!" He says, trying to baby his word palette in order to suit her.

"B-better?"

"Yeah, better" he smiles at her constant need of reassurance.

They sit in silence for a minute, staring at each other.

"Mabel?"

"Y-yes?"

"What happened to your parents?"

She pauses.

"Th-they d-d-d-die, rou-rouge" she frowns, then her eyebrow twitches, along with her hands, leading Adonis to believe she was gonna go into a fit.

He grabbed onto her hands and she looks up, eyes glistening and eyebrows knitted together.

"don't cry, uh- how bout' we play a game? uh- do you like rock, paper, scissors?" Adonis asks, grasping at straws, trying to calm his mate down.

she shakes her head and whimpers, the events of the attack on her pack seeming to just settle in.

she squirms, jumping away from him, causing his heart to clench dangerously.

"Mabel come back, I'm sorry for upsetting you" he says, reaching his arms out towards her causing her to stumble away, shaking her head and clawing at her own arms.

"stop hurting yourself, Mabel, stop it!",  Adonis whimpers rushing to her side in panic and touches her hands, prying them away from her now raw arm.

Mabel stops and looks him dead in the eye.

he stares back at her and almost cries when he sees tears fall from her glass eyes.

he reaches up and goes to wipe her tears when she screams.

she screamed bloody murder.

Adonis covered his ears and ducked. Pack members who happened to be near by (since they were in the pack house), rushed towards the sound of their distressed little Luna.

Adonis looked up just in time to see Mabel fleeing the scene and running out through the front doors.

By the time he had gathered his wits Liam was at his side, back from the hide and seek game he had thought they were playing.

"Donny? i heard Luna scream and came, where she?" He asked, whipping his head in every direction, which didn't do much, the house was packed with worried pack members.

"no time to talk, i'm following her, get dad and betas to follow.", Adonis spoke with authority, before running from the house and following the scent of his mate into the woods, making sure to leave a trail for his father to follow.