Chapter 20

*atreus point of view*

I sighed, eyes opening then slowly closing before I shoot them open again.

My hand enclosed with Freddies , his hand not much smaller than mine.

I wonder if my real mothers hands were that small.

I know I should remember her, she only left three weeks ago, but all I remember is her hair and eyes, Freddie stole them from her.

i imagine freddie ripping my mother's eyes from her sockets, peeling them into his own

but that isn't true is it, she gave them to him graciously, willingly.

no.

no he dragged them from her, she screamed and cried and begged for them back, for her beautiful stone cold eyes back.

no

no

no freddie wasn't like that.

freddie didn't know.

he didn't know.

"ray? a-are you still awake?" Freddie whispered to me, his hand withering within my grasp- only then do i realise i was gripping his hand with more force than necessary.

i see his eyes, my mothers eyes, staring back at me.

"ya fred, ya i'm awake" i reply, sighing the tiredness away, pulling his hand away from his little brother.

Freddies smile deepens into a frown as he scoots closer to his brother, whilst still holding the hand of the girl laying fast asleep next to him.

They were all asleep in Mabels bed when she had left with Adonis to Soters and left them to sleep.

Atreus' body curves as his brother attaches himself to him and he forces himself to remove the imagine of the child gauging his mothers eyes out from his head, replacing it with a warm cozy feeling he gets when anyone hugs him.

"i miss mama" Freds small voice sounds, as he buries his head deeper into Atreus' small chest.

Treys hand comes to his siblings back and he slowly soothes his brother, hoping to provide comfort for the little one.

"i know Fred, me too" Atreus speaks the words with such wisdom, some wouldn't believe they are coming from a child.

Blake stirs in her sleep and Freddies body turn towards her on pure instinct, as he shuffles himself closer to her.

"it's nightmares Ray, i'm worried" Freddie says, his hands going to hold both of Blakes shoulders, ready to shake her into awareness.

"leave her Freddie, let her fight her own nightmares, you can't do that for her" Atreus replies, as he repositions himself to be comfortable before closing his eyes.

"oh..okay" Freddie replies, slightly slouching into a sort of half upright half laid down position, still very much on guard.

"try sleep again" atreus commands

"okay" freddie replies

they were both asleep when mabel finally returned home

———————————————————

Mabel  walked in silence down the steps of the house after the kids fell asleep.

She wanted to call Adonis' name to let him know she was here but her body froze.

Before she had to think much harder on it a man steps into her view.

He stands at the end of the stairs with his hand out for hers.