30: Fearmongering

*Because Trina doesn't exist in the first book, I've shifted things around a little where Joseph hallucinated Violet in his previous chapter and not Trina. (P.S. sorry it's taken so long to update)

Also: TW - strong language

Joseph

My life is so hard. Each day feels like the same day on repeat.

Monday. Tuesday. Wednesday. Work. Work. Work.

I get home to a mundane day. And it's never interesting. I haven't made any new friends and haven't gone out to any new bars. I find solidarity to be rather lonely.

However, today was Thursday. It was a day off and a day to do my chores. I'd cleaned my apartment, careful not to look in any mirrors. Heaven forbid that shit happens again. I never want to see a face other than mine in my mirror, especially when I'm alone.

I washed my clothes. And I went to get the mail.

Except today, I'd received a threat. I'd laughed at the paper, which, by the way, looked like it belonged in a 1990s film with the way the letters from magazines and newspapers had been glued together. I kind of wanted to save it as a souvenir had it not been so creepy with no return address.

It was an interesting two sentences that brought fear into my heart for the first few seconds I looked at it. Then I'd tossed my head back and laughed.

I know what you did. Confess.

What exactly had I done? Lately, I just work and talk to girls on dating apps. It was mundane and boring as hell.

I was older now, almost 25 in a few weeks. I'd have the world's most boring job in the world's most boring town. And somehow, I'd still be single.

It wasn't that I hadn't been trying to find a relationship. It was that every girl I talked to only wanted to sleep with me and leave it at that.

For example, a couple weeks ago I'd met this bitch at the grocery store. She was drop dead gorgeous. And I felt the strongest urge to approach her, even though that's not my normal approach. I'm not normally that bold. But I was feeling confident that day. And so I went up to her.

"I'm Kaylee." She'd told me her name after I'd gotten her number. I told her I'd text her and she'd smiled at me, friendly enough. Though I knew I shouldn't shit where I ate, meeting a girl at a grocery store was a decent enough place. I didn't see a ring on her finger.

I watched her leave and make her way to her car. I eyed the brown haired beauty as she stepped into her white Honda. I memorized the license plate by heart in that second. I'd know when she would be at this grocery store from now on.

About an hour after my encounter, I decided it was time to text her.

Me:
Hey. I'm so sorry to have bombarded you at the grocery store. But, you know you're gorgeous. I'd love to go out sometime.

Pretty brown eyes 🤩
hi, sure but I'm not in town super often. I might be back next weekend.

We texted back and forth a little and she seemed friendly enough. I told her I looked forward to seeing her that next weekend.

The weekend came as quickly as the week had started, rushing to a halt as I sat on my blue beanbag chair and was reminded of the girl whose name I could no longer remember.

Me
Hey! It's the weekend, are you free?

I'd sent the message and waited.

One hour.