33: Boyfriend

Violet

A surge of electricity coursed throughout my body like an avalanche. I couldn't explain what it was, but everything in me was telling me that I shouldn't be feeling this pain as I stood beside Tracy, was that her name?

The girl who'd shown up at my apartment from the precinct and told me Aaron was missing. No, it was Tessa. I was certain her name was Tessa because I recall thinking it had a snake-like ring to it.

And for whatever reason, this strange ominous looming overshadowed me and I couldn't fight the gut feeling that Aaron wasn't okay right now. I didn't know why. I didn't know why I thought of Aaron as soon as I saw her, maybe because I was expecting him to show up. Maybe because they were coworkers?

And I almost wanted to cry thinking that the last thing I'd said to him was probably the meanest thing I'd ever said to him. He was the most decent, loyal person I'd ever known and I wish I'd never planned that dinner. It was so weird for me to be so emotional so suddenly.

I wished he would answer his phone, but, as I'd found out, his broken phone had been traced to a lake four towns away.

"What do we do?" I heard myself ask, the anxiety overwhelming me as a tall, broad-shouldered, older gentleman entered the room with me and Tessa. Tessa sat beside me, leaning against the table as I sat in the arm-chair, taking in the bright ultraviolet lights of the room.

"Dr. Veowsalot." He said and my eyebrows shot up. He had a graying beard on his face as he walked over to shake my hand.

"I go by Dr. Vy, like violin without the rest of the word." I heard myself say, realizing this might literally be the worst time for formalities.

"Right." He said, adjusting his tie. This man meant business if the drab look in his eye was any indication of his interest in my name. "Regardless doctor, my name is detective Zya. I will be the lead detective on the detective Paul case."

"Aaron's going to be okay, right?" I heard myself say, "you checked everything right?"

Detective Zya simply raised an eyebrow, a small smile disappeared as quickly as it appeared and I wished I knew what he was thinking.

"Yes, Dr. Vy." He annunciated my name as though it were a good he was tasting, "we checked his home, car, location, phone, everything. We found his wallet at that lake in Rosamond near a smashed phone."

I couldn't fathom why he was telling me that there was no hope. I couldn't comprehend why he was telling me anything rather than someone who knew Aaron more recently. I didn't even know what was going on. The last time I'd spoken to him had ended on the worst note imaginable.

"We're still searching and wanted your help in finding Mr. Paul. From my understanding, you two were close? And he was on a private case pertaining to you?"

"Y..yes?" I stuttered, wondering why they'd left Aaron alone on my case.

"Right then, I think you'd be useful in helping us find him."

Before I could open my mouth to ask why he needed me for this seemingly lackluster investigation, Detective Zya spoke again. "Do you know anyone by the name of Amy Bloom?"

I raised an eyebrow, shifting my gaze to Tessa. She sat beside me with her unpainted nails tapping against the wooden table. She seemed eager to end this conversation, meanwhile I became a balloon of questions and confusion.

I hadn't heard from Amy in years, not since her sister was arrested and behind bars. I hadn't stayed up to date with what happened. I wondered if she was okay.