10: Murdered

Aaron

"There's been another girl found murdered. This one was found by a bridge. Her name is Ophelia Alan. She was last seen at the Barrier Hospital, she was a volunteer; we never found her phone. But we think it may be linked to the murder of Caroline Vesper." Bella announced as I walked into the precinct. "Looks like we've got a serial killer on our hands. We need to catch him before he strikes again."

"How do you know it's a him?" Someone asked as I turned to look at detective Zya. He never interrupted Bella, I raised an eyebrow at him.

"The puncture wounds on her neck pierced through her larynx, unless the female was extremely strong or unless her adrenaline was high, she couldn't have done that. Besides, from my last experience, women don't usually target and murder other women, especially not within the same week."

"We should still keep our eyes open and remain on the lookout. We don't have solid proof that it was a man." Zya said. I eyed him warily, wondering if he knew more than what he was letting on.

Maybe I could speak with him privately after this meeting was over.

"So far, we don't have any witnesses, but it appears that the killer's target region is Barrier and Rosemond. If you see any suspicious activity in those areas, please contact me immediately."

It was a Sunday, a wonderful day for work while Violet was in town at her mothers house. I was afraid to tell her about the release of her father from prison.

Dooley could be a suspect in this if he had any motive; but I couldn't understand what motive he had. If he wanted to lure me in, he would've found ways other than murdering innocent people.

And then again, I still kept thinking about that suspicious boy. Luke Parker.

I wondered if he was in any way associated with these murders. Both women had been affiliated with him. Ophelia was his cousin and he knew Caroline from school.

But they'd questioned him and came up empty handed. And now we had 2 murders within the span of a week and neither one was solved.

"Detective Knight," Zya called for me as Bella completed her weekly meeting and the DA left with her.

"What's up?" I asked Zya, he was a tall old man, obviously fit for his age. Honestly, Zya was somebody I looked up to.

"Would you mind scouting the area with me this evening. I'm not sure what your keen senses of... whatever it is that you do. But whatever it is, I think you would be useful." He said, his gray, trimmed beard moving with each word. Damn, I wish my beard would look that good.

"No can do, Zya. I've got a date." I crossed my arms, leaning against the table.

"Date?" He scoffed, mirroring my arms, "you haven't been on a date in ages." He laughed as I glared at him.

"I went out with some chic last week!" I exclaimed.

"I meant, a meaningful date. Usually, you're quick to put this job above your sex-life."

"Sex life?" I scoffed.

"This girl must be important." Oh she is.

"She's an old friend." I responded. "Either way, I can't make it tonight."

"Old friend..." Zya looked at me quizzically before placing a hand on his chin. I thought the conversation was over once he walked over to his computer and began pressing a bunch of buttons. "The only old friend I ever saw on your file was a girl named Violet Veowsalot. And from my records, she's in a relationship." Zya said, her image showing up on the screen as my eyes widened.

"Zya! Put that away."

"Ooh, a Doctor!" He laughed as I looked around to ensure none of the other staff members were looking.

"Zya!" I lunged at him, attempting to change the screen.

"Does Miss Violet know that this is a date?" He backed away, dodging my pounce easily and stepping aside as I landed on the ground.

"Keep it professional Zya. My personal affairs are none of your concern."

"Actually Mr. Knight. They are, as lead detective, I expect you to help me with my investigations. And with your current position, I have the power to downgrade your role in our offices."

"Are you threatening me Zya?" I stood up, adjusting my jacket, "because I would love to tell dear old Milly about your late-night-rendezvous with Bella here." I threatened.

"How'd you know about that?" He scowled.

"I have my ways." I smirked, "listen here Zya, I can assist you any other night, just not tonight."

"Home wrecker." He shot back and I laughed, this was the reason I admired him so much. Zya was just an older version of me.

"Right back at ya." I said, "are we finished here."

"Have fun on your 'date' tonight, Aaron." He put air quotes around the word date and I rolled my eyes as flashes of the rendezvous with his co-worker appeared in his mind. Too bad his wife, Milly, would never find out.

"Ditto." I said, leaving the room. It wasn't that I didn't want to help figure out who killed those girls, I just currently had a very important girl visiting this town after five years and I certainly wasn't passing up the opportunity to spend time with her. Priorities.

I rushed out of the building, heading toward the parking lot and to my car. I had picked her up from work and driven her home with me.

Home: Anywhere that involved Violet.

Keep it professional. I had said to Zya. This is an investigation and I'm only doing this to protect Violet.

I had to tell her soon.

Sorry for the late update 😅

Aaron's last name was changed (Aaron Paul => Aaron Knight) in the final version of the boy who read minds (paperback and kindle ebook available on Amazon by the end of October! I'll post the link here then!)

Please don't forget to Vote, Comment and follow me @VeronicaSoli

Until next chapter ♥️

The series includes:
1. The Boy Who Read Minds (completed!)

2. The Boy Who Solved Crimes

2.5 Bailey's Story (Butterflies of Gold)

3. Joseph's Story (An Era Away)

3.5 Anya (Tyler's Story)