Chapter 3-What A Terrible Life She's Had

Zander's POV

I just got word that some human kids were found trespassing on our property. I am going to put the fear of God in them so they don't come back. We can't risk having humans finding out about our world. We have to run people from the village off all the time from our land. My men brought them to the basement of my pack house for questioning.

As I walk down the stairs, I have a feeling come over me of lightheadedness. That's odd? Hope I am not coming down with something. I mean it's rare for werewolves to get sick. As I walk into the room the feeling gets worse and I begin to feel weak. What the hell is wrong with me? My beta looks at me funny.

"You ok Alpha?" He whispers to me.

"I'm fine Tyler." I answer quickly.

I head over to the table the kids are sitting at and I lock eyes with the girl. She has the most intoxicating blue eyes I have ever seen. I am completely lost in them for a few moments. Then my wolf screams the word I definitely didn't see coming in my head, "MATE."

Fuck no. This can't be my mate. No way. I don't accept this at all.

"Where did you come from?" I begin my questioning.

I need to get these kids out of here and fast.

"We came from the village. We didn't mean to trespass. It won't happen again." The girl answers looking afraid and ashamed.

"What is your name?" I ask.

"Ariana." She answers hesitantly.

Fuck that's a pretty name. I feel a shiver run down my spine just hearing her say it. Wait. What the hell am I saying?

"Who's this?" I say pointing to the young boy.

"This is my brother Eli." She answers.

"Both of you need to leave and never return. If you do, we won't be so nice next time." I tell them.

"Absolutely!" She says. "We know better now." She smiles.

I look her over. She's wearing rags and she's dirty. This can't be my mate. My wolf must be drunk. Plus she's human. Alpha's don't have human mates. But I notice something that bothers me even more than what's she's wearing. Her arms and legs are covered in bruises. They don't look like accidents either.

I move closer to her and as I do I can smell her scent. Even though she is dirty, I can faintly smell her distinct smell and it's amazing.

"How did these happen?" I ask as I gently brush my finger up against her skin.

I instantly feel sparks of electricity pass through me. It feels better than an orgasm. God damnit she is my mate. I don't think she feels the connection though since she's human.

"Ummm..." she stutters. "I am very clumsy." She lies.

I know it's a lie. Someone has hurt her and when I find out who they are dead.

What am I saying? I don't care about her. She's an insignificant human. Now I know the moon goddess is punishing me. She's got to get out of here. I can't deal with this. I can't think straight with her here.

"My guys will escort you out of here. Remember what I said." I say as I turn to leave.

Ariana's POV

What was that? More importantly who was that gorgeous guy that just came in here? He obviously is the head hauncho around here but he's so young. At least he looks young. When he looked me in the eyes it was like he could see into my soul. His hazel eyes will haunt me forever. And when he touched my arm I felt sparks. Literal sparks. I must be delirious. What is wrong with me? Snap out of it Ariana.

It's late in the afternoon when we finally make it home. Dad will be home in a few hours. God I hope he's not drunk. Eli and I do our chores as we wait for him to come home.

Zander's POV

I sit here trying to focus on my alpha duties but all I can think about is Ariana. Damn mate bond. My wolf keeps fucking with my brain and it's starting to piss me off. My wolf keeps trying to tell me she's in trouble. I don't care though. He, however, does. It's like having split personalities when you have a wolf. Sometimes it really pisses you off. I decide to go for a run and shift to try to let him blow off some steam. But my wolf ends up leading me right back to Ariana. Son of a bitch.

Wolves have a strong sense of smell. Once you meet your mate their smell becomes engraved in your brain. You can track them down easily. That's how he was able to find her.

We creep up to the window of her house to peek inside. Her house is such a run down shack. It's really pitiful. As we approach the window we begin to hear screams. What the fuck? I look inside and nothing could prepare me for the sight I was about to see. A very fat middle aged man is trying to force himself on Ariana while she screams beneath him. He is slapping and hitting her as hard as he can while trying to pull down her pants. All the while her little brother is laying on the floor motionless. Fuck.

Before I can even blink, I am inside that house mauling the man to death. I take pleasure in absolutely ripping him apart. Sick fuck. I hate to do this in front of Ariana, but I can't control my wolf right now. Once my wolf has had enough he looks over to Ariana which is looking back at him with a look of shock and horror at what just happened. He then walks over to her and lays down next to her completely submitting to her letting her pet him. Once she realizes she is safe she hugs my wolf tightly to her and sobs uncontrollably for quite some time. She finally passes out from pure physical and emotional exhaustion and my wolf gets up to check on her brother. He is still breathing but I think he was knocked unconscious. I clean up the man's remains and bury them deep in the woods. I better get out of here before they wake up freaking out that a wolf is inside their house. Now what the fuck am I going to do? What will happen to Ariana and her brother? Who was that guy and what was he doing touching a young girl like that ? What a terrible life to grow up in. I have to help Ariana and her brother even if I don't accept her as my mate. I can't let her live like this anymore.

This is how I imagine Ariana to look like once she has cleaned up