Chapter 10- The Truth Is Out

Ariana's POV

Nothing could have prepared me for hearing that statement come from his mother's mouth. I am not sure who looks more shocked. Me or Zander though?

"What??" Is all I managed to squeak out.

"We were neighbors and we played together every day and went to school together. We grew up with one another and even went to high school at the same place. We all called her "Ennie." It was a nickname her family gave her and it just stuck with her. No one ever called her or knew of her as Cheyenne. She was fearless and fun. Everyone loved her. She was a great friend and a leader. When we were seniors in high school, right before graduation her boyfriend was killed in a car accident and it really tore her apart understandably. After graduation we lost touch and I hadn't seen her since. I often think of her and our childhood memories." She concludes her story.

I feel a tear stream down my cheek and realize I am crying. I never had anyone to tell me any story about my mom. Ever. I am so appreciative. I can't help but go hug Zander's mom tightly and thank her for sharing that with me.

"You are so welcome." She says with a smile upon her face as she brushes the tears from my cheeks.

She looks into my eyes and says, "You have her eyes." I beam back at her.

"Let's let Ariana go to bed now." Zander tells his parents.

I nod my head. I am exhausted. What a beautiful day it has been though. The best day of my life. Zander walks me out into the hallway and asks if I am ok. Before I say anything in response I kiss him passionately as I wrap my arms around his neck.

I break the kiss and when I do Zander asks "What was that for?"

"I'm sorry." I say afraid that maybe I shouldn't have kissed him. This is all new to me.

"Don't ever apologize for kissing me. I am all yours." He says to me.

I blush at that comment but look him in the eyes and say, "It's to say thank you for the best day of my entire life." I smile as I tell him. He smiles back at me and places a chaste kiss on my forehead.

"Go get some sleep. I will see you in the morning." He tells me as I head back upstairs without argument. I am worn out.

Zander's POV

I walk back into my office with my parents and shut the door. My mother looks at me with a very confused expression on her face.

"What's wrong?" I ask her.

"Well son the story I told Ariana was true. She was my best friend and I loved her dearly. But what Ariana doesn't know is that Cheyenne was a werewolf. And her boyfriend that died our senior year of high school was her mate. It completely broke her. What I wasn't 💯 truthful about was the fact that I did try to to keep in touch with her for a while afterwards. But she started drinking heavily, I believe to numb the pain of the mate loss. She was hanging out at bars and got knocked up by some low life that was abusive to her. We tried to talk to her to get her to leave that asshole but she wouldn't listen. You can only do so much. We think her wolf left her and that's why she couldn't fight back against him. I heard a few years ago that she killed herself to escape him but I think differently. If she had those children with him she would have never left them to have to deal with him alone. Truth be told he probably killed her." She says solemnly.

Fuck. Such a sad and crazy story. I am even more glad now that I killed that son of a bitch though.

"Mom, that's a really awful story. So what does this mean about Ariana?" I ask curiously.

"Well Zander it means that Ariana's mother was a werewolf and even if Ariana is half human, deep down inside there is a wolf trying to get out. She probably will shift when she turns 18. She is a hybrid. And while it is easy for werewolves to shift back and forth it isn't for someone that is truly half and half. You will eventually have to turn her completely and explain about our world." She finishes.

Holy shit. Ariana is a werewolf or half werewolf I should say. Now I know why she is my mate. Not only are we connected through our mothers, I truly believe the moon goddess sent her to me to bring her back to the werewolf world. Well I am going to be sure that happens. She's my mate and I will do anything I can to protect her and to have her here with me.

"Do you think her brother Eli is one too?" I ask.

"I am sure he is. But he may not know until he is 18. His name is Eli huh? That was Ennie's mate's name too." She answers with a smile.

"And by the way son, I think she is lovely. I really do. I am sorry for being skeptical of her and the situation. I should have trusted you and your judgment." She says.

Meanwhile my dad just sits there quietly soaking it all in but remains speechless. I think he will come around eventually.

How in the world am I ever going to explain my world to two humans? Not only that, two humans I have grown to care about. I have to tell Ariana soon because if not, she could shift on her own. She would be scared to death and could possibly get injured. My job of being her protector just got 10 times harder.