Chapter 16- Ariana's Birthday Part 1

Ariana's POV

I can't believe I am out here waiting for Zander to show me he is a werewolf. I am going to have myself admitted to a mental institution. Zander interrupts my thoughts by asking,

"Are you ready?"

Yeah not even close.

"I mean, I guess." I respond unsurely as I stare at him like he grew 3 heads.

I watch him closely as he stared back at me. I notice his eyes change colors. They look like they are glowing. Man did Zander slip some crack into my drink at dinner? I am tripping. I continue to stare at him intently without blinking as he begins to look like he is straining in pain. God something is wrong with him.

"Are you ok?" I ask before I see his body transform before my eyes.

Man. This is was it feels like to be high. After staring for a few moments I see the wolf that saved my life staring back at me. He approaches me carefully and lays at my feet. I am in a complete trance as I bend down to pet him. He purrs at my touch. Wait maybe I am dreaming? That's what this is. I pinch myself repeatedly thinking I am going to wake up from this craziness but nothing happens. I look into the wolfs eyes and I see Zander. Oh my God. It really is him. Unable to fully process what is happening and control my emotions I run back into the house and shut myself in my room. My shock and fear overtake me and I begin to cry. Minutes later I feel a hand caressing my back. I look up to see a shirtless Zander looking down at me lovingly.

"Why didn't you tell me before now?!" I demand wanting answers.

"I didn't know how. I didn't want to scare you off. Plus you were dealing with so much grief with your father's abuse and having a complete life change by coming here. I didn't want to overwhelm you." He explains.

"Well how long have you known that I was a werewolf?" I ask firmly.

He looks down at that question and mumbles almost inaudibly, "Since that night at the ball when I first kissed you." I am mad now.

"What?!" I exclaim.

"That was months ago Zander!! And how did you figure it out?" I ask.

"My mom told me because not only did she know your mother growing up, she also knew that she was a werewolf." He tells me.

I do my best to process all of this. I am very confused and angry right now.

"The other thing I have to tell you is that you can't tell any other humans. I don't even recommend telling Eli right away. They can't know about our world. That's another reason I couldn't tell you anything at first because we I couldn't risk exposure to my world if you weren't a werewolf too." He tells me.

"Well I think it would be best if you left me alone to take all this in." I tell him simply.

"Ariana..." Zander starts but I cut him off.

"Zander go. I will talk to you tomorrow." With that he nods and walks out of my room.

I sit there feeling betrayed that he never told me any of this. And right before my 18th birthday and my first ever birthday party. Why did he have to ruin it for me? Damnit. These are my last thoughts before I let exhaustion consume me.

I wake up the next morning to the smell of breakfast. Charlotte must be here cooking. It smells amazing. I get dressed and head downstairs to a series of "Happy birthday!" shouts from everyone. Minus James who just says it with very little emotion. I look at all their faces and smile and say a resounding "thank you" to everyone.